【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

Not a silly questions if I’m trying to persuade you to build them. The 26.5mm drop-in was specifically built to go into P60 style host. Along with the 17mm driver. Surefire came out with the P3 single cr123a, P6 double cr123a and the P9 triple cr123a all have this same 26.5mm drop-in pocket. About the time they converted to LED’s they became the P30, P60 and the P90. This denotes 3v, 6v, and 9v. Most clones went to the P60 which was also about the time the Li-ion 18650 cell came out and it all lined up as the perfect match. P60 size, LED’s and the 18650 all came together creating this light but Surefire did not convert to 18650 but stayed with 2-cr123a’s for extreme military conditions. Several years latter the P60 clones stayed the same but 20700 and 21700 batteries have been introduced. When the NCR20700A from Panasonic/Sanyo came out we went from 3500 mah/10amp 18650’s to 4200 mah/15amp over night. I hoped that some one would upgrade the host to this huge gain, but no. Now at 21700 cells we have nearly 5000 mah/10amp cells. I could work traffic accidents all night long in the worst weather and not need a battery change.

If you could be persuaded to build the host great.

Would you also consider building a 26.5mm drop-in with your Convoy 17mm driver for SST40 ,4 modes 0.1–3–30–100, 5000mA. As a separate item or packaged with the host as a option.

Thank you,
Paul

This one?

Simon: I am interested in how you know the heat resistance of LG UV LED is not good. Any real data or just reports from users? And what does not good mean? Lifetime shortened to 2000 hours is still better than most conventional UV bulbs.

Well, thats a SST40 driver, the M3 has a XHP70.2

This is the M3 driver

Maybe it’s under the… thing I don’t know a name for. Big grey square thing.

That would be the inductor.
What’s below that looks like a foam sticker or so.

On my sst40 driver it was a small black smt component without print.
I think it’s the small component near the chip on the left.

Maybe you can post some detail photos?

Maybe this helps

I’ve only got the S11 XHP50.2 driver, but I’m happy to desolder the inductor to show people what it looks like, in case it helps.

How about to the UK? Possible to save on postage costs by shipping batteries inside flashlights?

Not necessary, posting detailed (macro) photos will do.
Removing the blueish foamy thing, might help though.

Here we go - not the best macro shots in the world, but a quick one while I have a few moment being left alone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know it’s not the M3 driver, and they actually look quite a bit different, so it’s probably useless for what you’re after.

my guess would be this one
can you try to measure resistance?
also, try to measure with different temperatures,to verify.

Thank you very much for your explanation. If I design the 21700 version of the P60, I want to make integrated head or brass drop-in for it instead of D26 ,
This structure of D26, I think it is not good for heat dissipation

Sorry, I am not specific enough. I am not based on the data, but based on the after-sales situation of the S2 LG UV flashlight.So I need to do more testing.

Okay, current room temp is 8.8k Ω. Unsure of what the temp is in here now, probably 22-23C.

Breathe hot across it and it drops to 6.something k Ω. Slowly rises, then when I blow cool air on it, it rises much faster. That’s the one.

Many battery shipping delivery way to UK ,
it’s cheapest to insert the battery in the flashilght via epacket. 7-20days
there is a special battery delivery line to UK ,almost the same price as epacket ,just a little expensive, battery can be shipped seperately via this line,delivery time 5-10days,
i recommend this

Time for my silly question. What is an integrated head and would it still allow drop-ins to be used?

Yup, would replace most of mine as well. I pack a small box with a couple of dropins, extra cell and keep them in the car for road side work. I also love the flexibility of the P60 droping, can make about anything quickly.

Some people are still using D26 drop-ins despite the non ideal thermal path but they would like to use their drop-ins with a host having more versatility towards batteries size (better capacity of 21700). Making your own diameter will defeat this. Those people won’t buy your host if it won’t have D26 compatibility.

Simon, yes the draw is being able to use the existing form factor of the dropin. There are a couple of new dropins on the market that have a more substantial brass pill and a tiny bit of copper or aluminum wrap draws heat out well.

For example, these are great to work with and manage heat much better than the old style dropin…
http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY-and-Tools/led-drop-in/KDLITKER-P6-LED-Drop-in/KDLITKER-P6-SST20-Luminus-SST-20-700-Lumens-3V-9V-P60-Drop-in

I have modded several of them now and really like them.

The Convoy 17mm driver for SST40 ,4 modes 0.1–3–30–100, 5000mA with a substantial brass pill would be top of my list with SST40 or 3v XHP50.2.