Convoy SST40 vs KW CULPM1.TG 8A

Can someone please share their opinion on the Convoy L21 or M21 with the SST40 vs KW CULPM1.TG 8A? I’m looking for a budget thrower with minimum spill. From what i’ve read, these are both recommended for pure throw possibly? But the KW CULPM1.TG 8A is more powerful and will provide a little more power/distance? If my understanding is correct, is the extra power/distance work the extra price, which seems to be about $10 to $15 more for the KW CULPM1.TG 8A. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The CULPM1is a smaller LED and in the same host it will have a narrow beam than the one from the SST40. You’re basically focusing a similar amount of light into a smaller area which makes it more intense, hence it will throw further but will light up a smaller area.

SST40 is not a 100% thrower. It’s a big emitter that pushes a lot of lumens with a good balance between throw and spill. It’s nowhere near Osram which is a pure thrower you’re looking for.

Altough I don’t think pushing the CULPM1.TG to 8A makes sense. It was tested by ‘djozz’ and he found out that it maxed out at 7,5A (it started loosing output after that point). Scroll down to about a quarter of the page:

All depends what you are after really. The smaller LED will have more throw, probably significantly. But will be a lot less versatile. The beam will be smaller, more intense and the spill beam wide, but duller. The SST-40 is likely to be quite versatile with good beam distance and will light up a wider area better.

It was CSLPM1.TG. CULPM1.TG handles current much better, though we don’t yet know exactly how much.

Thanks to all for the input. i have an Astrolux FT03 XHP50.2 on order for a light that will provide a wider beam with some spill for distances up to 200 yards. i’m now looking for as true of a thrower as i can get for under $50. The main use that i’ll have for it is spotlighting hogs or coyotes out to 500 yds. as well as look for trespassers at that distance. any distance beyond that will be a bonus, but i’d like something that can put light out that far.

I don’t have the Z1, but I do have an aspheric zoomy with the Osram W1 in. Beam looks like this:

The spill/reflections could be got rid of if I paint the pill matt black, currently it is just the brass showing and reflecting.

SST40 makes the best usable beam.