Copper p60 pills and mag heatsinks-gauging interest.

I would be all over that!

Definitely flat top for incan Mags!

I would be in for C and D heatsinks.

Been working all week, so no time to get anything worked up. Looks like the first thing will be a mag rebel flattop heatsink for a D mag. When it gets closer I will try to get an accurate count so I know how many to run.

Did find time tonight to put together a P60 aspheric with an ahorton lens. Used an XRE driven at 1.4 amps in a solarforce L2P. I must say that it has a killer amount of throw and is much more useful than I used to think of them. I have a 300 foot long driveway, and the amount of light it puts on the trees out by the road is impressive.

Cool u235, glad to hear the rebel D mag heatsink will be the first. I’d suggest making it take up most the space in the mag body up to the top of a sanded down switch. The h22a heatsinks could have about 50% more mass if they went deeper into the body of the mag closer to the top of the switch. Still need enough room for drivers but maybe offer one with a deep recessed cavity for tall drivers and one with a shallow cavity for smaller drivers?

Won't that add quite a bit of weight? Ok with me if the added weight is insignificant.

-Garry

Looking at my Rebel and Incan D Mags, the only difference I can see is that the threading and o-ring on the Rebel body does not go as far down (less threads) so that the head doesn't thread as far down. This allows the deeper Rebel reflector to not hit the body. With the Rebel reflector in a head on a Incan Mag, the reflector will hit the top of the body before it's even close to being threaded all of the way on.

So, my original idea of basically taking an H22A and removing the center post, but still having the lips on it, won't work for me. I believe the best way is just to have a flat-top heatsink that recesses in the body - so basically an aluminum slug that's maybe hollow on the back side like an H22A to house the driver and any wiring.

The only thing that's tough for me is how I would connect the switch to the driver. I normally solder wires from the switch positive and ground connections to the driver board that's glued to the heatsink. So the wires need to be long enough to solder on the driver with the switch installed - which is a good length of wire. I'm not sure there will be room for that here. I was almost thinking it would be cool if the driver was mounted in the center of the heatsink to have a center spring and an outer spring both connect up to the switch's contact points, which would make this a "drop-in" after cutting down the bulb tower.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.

Should be room for the wires to be pushed in behind the heatsink. There is one disadvantage to a rebel heatsink in a reg mag body, the reflector is so deep that there is not much room for the driver even though the heatsink is very thin compared to how thick I usually make them. I have an idea of putting on a thick lip so the head will not screw down as far and see how much that gives me.

Ill take 2 of the D mag heatsinks for a single XML emitter. My plan is to use a rebel reflector in an incan host (if possible - if not I'll just stick with my incan or buy a rebel host). I would like these soon.

Still hoping for the custom P60 Pill module...

I’d take 2 d sized heat sinks if you can get a price down

I'd be interested in 3 or 4 d mags as well, depending on final price.

Started a mockup for a Rebel reflector in a D sized incan mag. It will be tighter than I first thought, due to the depth of the rebel reflector and the differences in the head and threads compared to a rebel mag. I have a few ideas on how to make it work, but it will have less mass than I thought. The problem is it cannot be to thick, because you still have to fit a driver in there between the sink and the switch. If I do not get jammed with overtime, I will have off the end of next week, and may be able to get with the guy making them, and do a final version and post pics.

Yeah, I was surprised at how little room there was too. So now my comment about fitting wires in between the driver and switch might make more sense ;)

Well if it won't work I'll just stick with incan reflector/incan host or rebel reflector/rebel host instead of mix-n-match. But if you think it will work safely, then I'm all over it.

Im looking for some heatsinks for mag D incan to use with xml on 20mm star and 52mm KD aspheric. I guess it would need led to be ~30mm from lens but obviously I can adjust head for focus, no reflector.

I will keep an eye on this thread in case you make something suitable. Cheers.

Wow with all this love for Mag heatsinks, it feels like the P60 has been pushed way aside...I still hope there are plans to a custom P60 module.

Am I the only BLF'er that has no interest in Big Mag Modding? Everyone else seems compelled to try it.

any updates on this ?

I am still trying to get a heatsink done and get it to the machinist. Work and other issues have prevented me from being as far with this as I could be. That, and I want to make it as drop in as possible or else I do not feel it will meet the needs of some of the people who will want to use it. There is not much room to work with, and taking into account that you will need room for a driver in there it is really tight. It can be done, but it is not what I really want it to be in terms of mass, and room for different drivers. I may just end up doing some for an incan mag, and some for rebel mags. Would be able to make it to production much faster.

The P60 will prob end up being a project I try at a later date, depending on time. I will be getting this done as a favor, and therefore am limited in the amount I can hassle the people making this happen.

There are plenty of good reasons to mod a mag. It will have great heatsinking, a great runtime, and have MUCH better throw than a P60. The overall construction is really nice, and the different sizes allow many battery combos to be used. And really I prefer its form over the skinny bidy big head 2 or 3 18650 lights. As much as I like them, the P60 is a terrible design for an LED light in terms of heat management.

I will keep everyone posted, and will do some beamshots to show the difference of the 2 reflectors(incan and rebel) with the same emitter and drive level.