Costco - 2-pack 500 lumens looks like a large C8

Costco - 2-pack 500 lumens
I saw this in a Costco magazine. Runs on 3 c batteries and has a slide zoom. Doesn’t look like a coast brand light. Item #654427 and will only be in warehouse. Newbie so don’t know much but pic in magazine

sounds a little like this, but runs on 3C instead

Says FEIT electric. I am sure others will get the Costco magazine in the mail and know more about these lights.

I think all of the CFL’s in my house are FEIT brand, but I’ve never come across anything else that carries that brand name.

Yep, those CFL’s are sold in Menard’s here in the Midwest, and I’ve got an SD card and USB thumbdrive with the FEIT label from Target too.

Wonder if they’re the oem or not?

Doesnt look like a C8 to me.

Just like CREE, they do manufacturing in the US, as well as overseas.

I remember years ago when seeing FEIT at Lowes I figured they were some cheap, bargain bin brand. I think it was simply because of the name :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not ONLY the name, but that bargain-brand logo too, huh? :wink:

My FEIT SD card is still going strong in my camera (only takes a max 1GB card which gives you an idea of its age), and the 4GB thumb drive hasn’t failed yet (can’t say this about my PNY, or Staples branded generic)

Iit will be interesting to see if anyone puts up a review in the future. In the meantime, FEIT should spend a little more on their art director… :slight_smile:

And thanks for the pic’s, =the=

Hmmm... "More Lumens Equals More Light". Is that how it works? I guess I've been wrong this entire time.

InnocentLaughing ;)

The 500 lumen lights (item #654427) are not yet at my Costco. I found a link suggesting a sale price of $24.99 for 2. Regular price at $29.99? That’s a good price for a torch putting out 500 lumens.

I don’t care for the c battery form factor. Too non-standard in the rechargeable/charger world. I am not about to start with the throw-away batteries.

I did pick up a pack of 3 at 250 lumens for $14.89, on sale (item #685251). Couldn’t resist. I can feed Eneloops to those. If you consider that they give you 9 alkaline AAA’s worth approximately $3, the flashlights themselves are about $4 each. The SK68 might get blown away at those prices.

I also have the Coast 1000 lumen light. I used it on flood this past week to deal with an early attack of house ants. This light is like daylight in winter!

I couldn’t resist. I came home with a pair of them today. $12.50 each, including batteries, really, how can you beat that!? It’s much smaller than the HD defiant 3C lights. I’m fine with C batteries, and besides, I also have some of the eneloop AA to C size adapters so I can run them on Nimh too.

I like the zoom beam, it goes from a nice even flood light, zooming in to a square emitter shaped spot light. I suppose my biggest complaint is that it really could use one or two lower mid and low settings instead of the blinky modes. At least the blinky modes are easy to avoid. It starts in high, a half press advances to medium, a full click turns it off. Two or three seconds off and the modes reset to start in high again.

Only the tail cap unscrews, so modders may be disappointed.

The 3 packs of 250 Techlites were on sale for $15 as well. I’m tempted to “go Lumatic” and get more of those too. :wink:

Edit - the package included lanyards, but I don’t see any way to attached them. Weird.

One moe edit - Eneloops are back in stock at Costco, this time they have the pack with the charger, 8 AA, 2 AAA and some C and D size shells for $20.

500 lumens high and 295 lumens low? Really? Can you even see a difference between high and low?

-Garry

Yes, side by side, there is a difference. Not blatantly obvious, but there is a difference.

With regard to running these lights with AA Nimh batteries in C size adapters. I see that the instructions call for inserting 3 “C” alkaline batteries. I’m not sure if they are trying to tell us something there. Each of those C alkalines is rated at 1.5 volts nominal and 8000 mAh, for a total of 4.5 volts nominal. See this link for ratings:

Each AA Nimh battery is rated at 1.2 volts nominal and 1900 mAh (Eneloop). So the theoretical substitution would give us 3.6v compared to 4.5 volts. I can’t speak to the difference in mAh, because that’s past my knowledge bank.
I do know that I tried this substitution in a CD player/radio (6 C cell requirement, 9 volts). I did not get much music. Six AA cells gave me a nominal 7.2 volts.

The claimed runtime on high is 7 hours (sounds like a lot). If this light is designed to run on C size alkalines, I suspect that anything less could be a problem. My Jetbeam PA40 (468 lumens on high) has a claimed runtime of 2.5 hours on high. That is with 4 AA batteries of 2500 mAh each.

@SherlockOhms. If you can set up this light to run with 3 AA’s, I would be curious as to the performance.

Once you put a decent load on alkalines, their voltage drops very quickly into NiMh territory.

Current draw on high with the original coppertops is about 2.2 amps. With the eneloops, it is about 2.7 amps. It’s getting noticeably hot running the eneloops on high. I can still hold the body, but the head is close to uncomfortable. There’s relatively little heat build up on Alkalines.

Current draw on medium with either alkaline or eneloops is 1.3 amps.

Because of the heat build-up, I expect I’ll stick to alkalines after all.

1.33V x 2.7 amps = 3.6 W, 1.5V x 2.2 = 3.3 W

Er well let me rephrase that. lol

Doesn’t this really mean its heat sinking is working properly?

Thanks for the insight.

Maybe I am over-reacting to the heat build up. However, there’s a disconcerting difference between just barely warm on alkalines compared to hot on eneloops. I don’t want to fry my eneloops so I’d stick to medium level on eneloops or just use regular alkalines. I actually can’t think of any situations where having 500 lumens for hours at a time would be significantly better than having 300 lumens.

BTW, I took a 2nd look at the tailcap (after reading the slickdeals thread on this light) and finally found the tiny lanyard hole. :open_mouth: