Costco 3-pack of XP-G flashlights!

Hello, Let me know if this should be a completely different thread but Lowes is selling a single pack copy of the Techlites, branded as Utilitech for approx. ~$9. It has an XP-G on 20mm star/20mm circuit board, smooth reflector, direct-driven, single mode and runs on 3xAAA. The switch is a simple reverse clickie and the pill assembly screws directly into the battery tube and appears to be a solid pill with heat sinking paste applied to the underside of the star. The light is completely open for disassembly. According to the package, it produces 200 lumens. Compared to my UF XR-E R2 drop-in rated at 250 Lm, this light is brighter on alkalines (0.6A). When I put in Tenergy Premiums, I see around 1.4A draw but the real shocker is that with a Li-ion, ie. Trustfire 18500 or Sanyo UR18650FM, I see current draw from 2.2A up to 2.9A! I don’t want to fry the emitter so I think NiMH is sufficient. This light is my thrower until I buy a FT Convoy C8 SMO but the Utilitech is a pleasant platform for possible modifications, including a new driver, aluminum reflector with glass lens.