CPF 404 Not Found

CPF is back up, I hope it runs smoothly and faster than before.

atm the Search feature is disabled on CPF, but google works to find some things

fwiw, when searching for reviews, CPF comes up in the top hits, but BLF usually does not. I mention this because many reviewers post to both sites.

When I want to find BLF reviews, I have to specify budgetlightforum and -candlepowerforum in the google search terms

seems CPF hits get priority over BLF hits… not sure why

anyway, enjoy having choices

How about …. eh, coughing up money?

The site seems to be down again. Perhaps there were still a few things left to set up.

Works for me:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Ah, it’s just the front page which still has an error message. Remove the /vb/ and it says it’s being moved.

Yep, I came across the same situation when I first heard that their forum was back up.

If I were in charge, I would update their home page.

Well, I’m a member of both CPF and BLF. I would never have found BLF if I hadn’t found CPF first. I don’t post on CPF anything like as often as I used to, but I still drop in from time to time, and I’m happy that CPF may now be recovering from its technical difficulties.

I’ve certainly never encountered the unpleasantness that some people here say they’ve had on CPF. The only thing that irritates me there is not being allowed to post links as I see fit. Ultimately, he who pays the piper calls the tune, so I live with that.

The thing that does strike me here is the personal animosity I sometimes see towards CPF. I find myself feeling that it makes BLF look bad, especially given how sharp the contrast is to the friendly discussion we normally have here.

More thoughts on CPF versus BLF here on the other thread.

100% agree ^
Don’t fight hate with more hate.
If you dislike the other forum then keep it to yourself instead of being rude and offensive too.

It seems to be running a lot better now, glad they finally bit the bullet and changed servers.

there is discussion here about the two forums, could that happen on the other one?

The forum tribalism thing comes back every now and then, and generally serves no purpose except getting people riled up. Basically, people know what the issues are but we try not to talk about it because it accomplishes nothing. It’s a bit like trying to prove which sports team is better, or which political party is better.

Here be dragons. Turn away if you don’t like being roasted.

CPF and BLF has their own house rules, which you may or may not like or agree with.

If you’re in their house, you follow their house rules.

If you don’t, leave the place or out you go…it’s as simple as that.

Goodluck even posting a BLF link over there eyeroll

All they want to do is make money over there and pretend we don’t exist

“You are all very mean people over there at BLF! I want you to all apologize to me immediately - or I will edit/delete all of your posts and ban you from MY forum PERMANENTLY! You will comply to MY rules exactly as I have specified in my doctrine of “the good little flashlight users of CPF” under section 93270.5709 paragraph 63. I am a very important person, and you had all better shape up and do exactly what I tell you! My mods are watching you, so keep your opinions to yourselves!”

She is The One ?... If so , everything that was still unclear ( why?) in my mind , is clear now ... Dear SB , look and learn ...!!!

Er, BLF was created due to issues at CPF. I’m pretty sure SB already knows what not to do.

That was 8 years ago though, and we don’t really need to be having the same arguments after all this time.

Oh, the drama.

Chris

Ho hum

Cheers David

After 8 years I was curious how the two forums were doing in terms of metrics. So I checked some numbers.

CPF:

• Started ~2000-08-11 (date unsure, appears to have some database weirdness before 2002-08-29, so post numbers aren’t all in chronological order during that time)
  • Most recent post ID: 5,196,848
  • Most recent account ID: ~538,000
  • ~9.65 posts per user (avg)
  • 805.4 posts per day (avg all time)
  • 307.3 posts per day (avg last 100k posts)

BLF:

• Started ~2010-01-09
  • Most recent post ID: 1,303,746
  • Most recent account ID: 27,982
  • 44.98 posts per user (avg)
  • 432.7 posts per day (avg all time)
  • 572.4 posts per day (avg last 100k posts)

It looks like CPF has had about 4X as many total posts as BLF, and has been around for slightly over 2X as long. It was once a much more active place, but seems to be slowing down and is only a fraction as active as it used to be.

BLF is newer and smaller, with far fewer user accounts registered, but has been gaining speed and seems to be nearly twice as active in recent months. With ~4.5X as many posts per user, it appears people on BLF are generally more engaged.

I did not include any data from CPFmarketplace, as it appears to be gone. Or from CPFclassifieds, since it seems to be a single page of banner ads. Or CPFunderground, because it’s private and requires an account to access anything. And nothing from any facebook groups. Just the main forum site.

Thanks TK. If possible, it would be interesting to compare those stats YTD, or the rolling 12 month averages. My bets are a 4:1 market share… advantage BLF.

Edit: It would actually be nice to watch CPF go away permanently and never return. :beer: