Crash-testing a XM-L2 and a XP-G2 on copper Sinkpads

Actually it does โ€œX (named ex /หˆษ›ks/, plural exes[1])โ€

Hopefully not Tom E. You guys are real good by the way. I can't get my TN31 to reach 6 amps. I think the TN31's have better heat sinking than my DST has. They have that really nice large copper base. That has to do a better job sucking out the heat then my set up.

EDIT: By "Hopefully not", I was trying to say hopefully the TN31 owners out there running at 6.5 amps don't have problems with short emitter life. Sorry for the confusion. I am usually in a rush when making posts as I have very limited time to make them most of the time.

whothewhatnow? o_O

Correlation is not causation. 'X happened at the same time as Y, therefore, X must have caused Y!' Much more plausible explanation is that it was an o-ring chain and the gasoline affected the o-rings and/or grease inside, and the lack of grease killed the chain. In 20+ years of living and breathing cars I have never heard of gasoline doing anything like that to any kind of metal.

Thanks comfy, I choked on my coffee as well when I read that.

Cleaned motorcycle chains in gas for years. Stretching was my only issue with chains. Loved my shaft drive! :slight_smile:

THIS JUST IN: GASOLINE HAS BEEN DISCOVERED TO EAT THROUGH GAS TANKS, CREE EMITTERS ARE SAFE TO DE-DOME THANKS TO KRYPTONITE DIE CONSTRUCTION.

More on News at 11 on your favorite modding channel MTG2 Live Now! :stuck_out_tongue:

You two are probably right. The bike chain had soaked for a month or so and broke apart almost immediately. It was well lubed and didn't have chance to heat up. I later read that gasoline made certain metals more brittle. They called it something like hydrogen embrittlement, but maybe it was written by someone that didn't know what they were talking about. I don't think gas tanks are made of the same type of metal and also they are not subjected to such an extreme level of tension as a high powered motorcycle drive chain.

I was just funning 4Wheelr, the bike chain is made of much better metal than a gas tank, of course. I just donโ€™t think the gas caused the failure of the chain. They fail pretty easily, and as comfy suggested it was probably more of a coincidence that you had just cleaned it. It was probably in shock that you actually did clean it! lol

I never soaked one, especially not for a month, but used a gas soaked rag to wipe em down before re greasing. The chain has so many places to go wrong, usually a clip breaks off or the end of one of the pins snaps and releases the clip, such small pieces for the amount of work they do.

Well-lubed on the outside doesn't mean you got grease inside between the pins and rollers, where the grease has to be or else the chain will fail in short order. It only takes one of them to fail and the whole chain comes off.

Agreed. Sorry djozz. Didn't intend to derail your thread. Post 98 was intended to add value.

Has anyone run the XPG2 Noctigon reliably for a longer time on 5.5A MTN-MAXlp for example?