Cree changed production process for XP-G2 emitters!

There are more promising emitters (Lumileds has had a few interesting ones, and LedEngin), but they have weird footsprints and we are sort of stuck with emitters that fit a XM or XP foorprint because that is what we have DTP-MCPCB’s for. XB-D DTP-boards can not be sourced and you need DTP to get the performance you are looking for.

Nowadays it is a bit easier because many companies make DTP-boards and they can be tailor-made in quite small quantities (500 or so), but still someone needs to invest $500 to do that and hope to earn it back somehow.

Djozz,

This is XB-H… Do we need different board for that or it can go to XP DTP?

Guys,

New emitter from Cree: Cree Launches Industry’s First Extreme Density LED — LED professional - LED Lighting Technology, Application MagazineFREE+Information+Service&utm_campaign=47c4f03172-LED+professional+Newsletter%28LpN%29+Dec+15%2C+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ff8d2246a5-47c4f03172%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%28LED+professional+Newsletter%28LpN%29+~~+Dec+15%2C+2017%29&mc_cid=47c4f03172&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

thread here:

XB-H = 2.29x2.29mm, XP-G2 = 3.5x3.5, that is quite a difference. The XB-H will even not touch the electrical pads on a XP-board. That said, you could get away with a XP-board if you can get solder to bridge that gap. I should be able to get that done, but it is not a common thing to do.

Djozz,

I think we should get XLamp XD16 somehow… For the first time I have very good feeling for this led just by looking at it :slight_smile:

For experimentation I guess this is an option?

An Osram LED. LED test / review Osram SYNIOS P2720 DMLQ31.SG white - Small chip, but big in luminance - at low current!

The OP claims it outperforms the old XP-G2 and the Black Flat. Maybe you could check it out and see what you think.

The XD16 hasn’t a thermal pad (look datasheet 27), and the thermal resistance is not very low at 6 °C/W. In case of using DTP boards (which would be necessary at such high power ratings) it is very hard to electrically insulate anode / cathode from each other.
To be honest, I don’t see that this emitter could be the ‘new old XP-G2’ which everyone is looking for…

And… - this LED is very, very small (1.6 x 1.6 mm) so the handling in reflow is extremely difficult.

The light flux with approx. 450 lumens is much lower than of the XP-G2 / Black Flat, even at maximum over current possible.

I guess I misunderstood that thread?

Are you talking about the Synios or the new Cree?

I was talking about the Synios. I assume koef3 was too, since he quoted my post about it.

Funny thing is that the thread I was referring to about the Synios was koef3’s thread! I guess I’m just confused. :person_facepalming:

Honestly at this point, anyone who wants the best throw should not be buying Cree LEDs.
It’s that simple. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Enderman but I would not change my old XP-G2 S4 2B for your new Osram black flat under any circumstances but that is maybe only because I am building flashlights and not bazookas :laughing:

We need LED masters like you Sir. Please lead us to right direction :+1:

well , everyone can do whatever he likes :+1:

Yes sure… Why not? I am just joking with Mr. Enderman :wink:

Yeah it was just a joke :stuck_out_tongue: no problem

I have been testing Oslon black flat the last days .

It need quite some work with focusing , since it is a little shorter than your normal Cree leds , but it is really promising . For now i have been testing it on DTP boards only (in lights that doesn’t share the ground on the head of the flashlight , like UT02) , and i’m waiting for MosX boards too .

Results are very good and the led looks very promising … With UT02 which i was getting about 320kcd with dedomed xp-g2 , i’m now seeing 365kcd and i’m still working on getting a better focus :wink:

With even lower out put then the XP-G2 or the same?