Cree changed production process for XP-G2 emitters!

For experimentation I guess this is an option?

An Osram LED. LED test / review Osram SYNIOS P2720 DMLQ31.SG white - Small chip, but big in luminance - at low current!

The OP claims it outperforms the old XP-G2 and the Black Flat. Maybe you could check it out and see what you think.

The XD16 hasn’t a thermal pad (look datasheet 27), and the thermal resistance is not very low at 6 °C/W. In case of using DTP boards (which would be necessary at such high power ratings) it is very hard to electrically insulate anode / cathode from each other.
To be honest, I don’t see that this emitter could be the ‘new old XP-G2’ which everyone is looking for…

And… - this LED is very, very small (1.6 x 1.6 mm) so the handling in reflow is extremely difficult.

The light flux with approx. 450 lumens is much lower than of the XP-G2 / Black Flat, even at maximum over current possible.

I guess I misunderstood that thread?

Are you talking about the Synios or the new Cree?

I was talking about the Synios. I assume koef3 was too, since he quoted my post about it.

Funny thing is that the thread I was referring to about the Synios was koef3’s thread! I guess I’m just confused. :person_facepalming:

Honestly at this point, anyone who wants the best throw should not be buying Cree LEDs.
It’s that simple. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Enderman but I would not change my old XP-G2 S4 2B for your new Osram black flat under any circumstances but that is maybe only because I am building flashlights and not bazookas :laughing:

We need LED masters like you Sir. Please lead us to right direction :+1:

well , everyone can do whatever he likes :+1:

Yes sure… Why not? I am just joking with Mr. Enderman :wink:

Yeah it was just a joke :stuck_out_tongue: no problem

I have been testing Oslon black flat the last days .

It need quite some work with focusing , since it is a little shorter than your normal Cree leds , but it is really promising . For now i have been testing it on DTP boards only (in lights that doesn’t share the ground on the head of the flashlight , like UT02) , and i’m waiting for MosX boards too .

Results are very good and the led looks very promising … With UT02 which i was getting about 320kcd with dedomed xp-g2 , i’m now seeing 365kcd and i’m still working on getting a better focus :wink:

With even lower out put then the XP-G2 or the same?

When used with a single cell , it is about 15% less lumens , but i haven’t really made a lot of lumen measurements to be sure about it .

What about consistency? That was best pick out off… ?

I didn’t “pick” the led , for now all the leds i tested had consistent output , except from one i damaged with a bad reflow .

The question was asked on purpose because it was stated by several members here and even on TLF that you gotta have very good luck to pick one…

Even Enderman have to pick one out of 10 for his monster thrower…

So who knows maybe Osram improved something and got better consistency?

I have read the same for them , i could just be lucky .When i test more of them i will see , i guess :slight_smile: