Cree CXB3590 in the Giga Thrower!!!!

“vestureofblood” Very nice mod to your GT. And very good video of the process you experienced completing it successfully. I was curious how the throw was, and if it were possible to get it focused for throw. I have wondered why nobody has tried this type of COB led in a big flashlight.
Great job. How did you find that Driver ?? And where did you get it , Please :sunglasses:

If one could radius the corners some, that led would be awesome in a maglight. Talk about a sleeper/mule. Heat sinking may be difficult even if you could get it to fit. Maybe this is just a bad idea. :person_facepalming:

Totally professional mod you did! You should sell them!

Very, cool mod VOB! :+1:

One thing though - that Cree COB LED is by far not the brightest COb LED on the market. COB LEDs really are not their specialty. Here you can find a comparison of the brightest COB LEDs on the market (in German). Citizen, the company that invented this type of LED, offers the most powerful model (rated up to 524W).

Nicely done Matt, extremely cool idea! :+1: Love your videos too.

How hot is that TaskLED voltage boost driver getting being piggy backed with out heatsinking? Is it an issue?

I really love that too, I’ve not had a pot control in years.

Not done the heat testing yet, but I’m guessing abut 10 minutes max on high. Battery life estimate would be LED 37.5v x 3.2a= 120w Battery 29.6v x 3.1a = 91.76w 91.76/120= .76 hours run time on max.

I do have some, and it would probly work, but the loss of light and not being able to see my golden monster inside kept me from it :slight_smile:

Here is the driver. Hyperboost Driver

Taskled is really only something people know about if they are from the super old school flashlight club :face_with_monocle: If you get one make sure you press the thermal tape on to the bottom of the driver first and very well, then stick it to the heat sink, thermal path is critical. Also read the documentation as best you can, these drivers are very powerful, but also delicate.

Thank you for sharing. I was not aware of that. I may give one of those a shot too. Honestly I am kinda glad I didn’t know. Posting here at BLF all that I need do for a title is write the simple truth. CXB3590 and everyone comes running because they understand. On youtube generic terms like “worlds brightest” or “worlds best” seem to play better. Now to figure out a driver solution for a 110V led :student:

There is thermal tape from it’s pcb to the factory board and this seems to be enough in my case because the driver is doing very little work. The voltage from the pack is so close to LED vf that on the lower end the driver is not even active (it goes direct drive). With a fully charged pack my low is like 400 lumens. Once the over voltage wears off I think it’s more like 120 ish.

If it’s worth killin’, it’s worth over-killin’! Nice!

One question, you did this instead of finishing that wall, right?

awesome video & mod! :slight_smile:

This thing will be perfect if we can get 21700 to work… 8 x 21700.

Maybe I missed it being mentioned somewhere but how would this LED compare firing as a straight mule vs with using the in-ratio relatively small reflector in those outside night shots?

Basically does this reflector/LED combo noticably improve throw characteristics? I mean I don’t think it could use more spill. :open_mouth:

LOL… About the wall. The only thing in my shop that I built are the work benches. The one you see where I solder, and the one the vice is clamped too. I do have some construction experience but I don’t excel at it, so most often I opt out of spending any money or time on that sort of thing :student: One advantage of all of those little “quirks” about my house like that wall, and the doors that are a full inch out of square are the reason I could afford this place. If it was well built some rich guy would be living here instead of me!

Yes. Even though the beam is still very wide, the reflector does give a substantial range enhancement.

Hey you forgot the batsymbol for it ! Lol

Great job! Like!!

Hey VOB, what potentiometer is that? I’d love to pick one up. Thanks!

Here you go pscal. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/688-RK097122200G

Thanks!!

Arrow.com has some 3590’s which are discontinued and some not at a good price. $27 to $41. Would love to build a portable battery powered mule. Just not tech savy enough yet. I think something the size of a small lamp shade with a handle similar to a lantern would be awesome. Maybe one day.

Thought I would resurrect this thread because it was so awesome.

DigiKey has the latest Bridgelux Vero29 COBs for about $30 that can do 18.8k lumens+ at just 68V and 1.7A for about 162lm/W. I have a thread in the Spotlight subforum discussing my adventures with these large CoBs, including reflectors and optics…