Cree quietly updated xm-l2 led emitter

Check original post, i have included such comparison

Oh, I somehow missed that. Thanks

I am slightly confused about this post, or mostly some of the comments lol, and Vf, and outputs. I dont understand, but i did order some XML from Kaidoman yesterday, the 7A3 variant, and 4C variant too. Im just hoping for good tint lol. Not hopeful for 4C bin, but 7A3 could be quite good, i have pretty good 7A3 bin xpl-hi.

How can you tell which XML is the old version and which is the new?

You can look at pictures here:
http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY-and-Tools/LED-Emitters-or-LED-Star-on-PCB/CREE-XM-L-Series-LEDs

It appears the new XML2 is a flip chip (no bond wires) with a white silicone surrounding the die, similar I think to the XHP50.3.

Why would a company hide such an upgrade when they are working full time on marketing a ‘’new’’ product that is almost the same as the last one but claim its revolutionary to boost sales?
Or it is just that the manufacturing process is now the same for the old and new models.

Maybe the “color over angle” will be improved from this change.

ergotelis I’m sorry, but I think that you have experienced “!#$%^ specification syndrome" - somebody have !#$%^ up copy & paste process and you have assumed that it’s true…

@DominikM, it is obviously not.

Everything is in the datasheet:

Besides a ~20% boost in output, I’m guessing the lower resistance will mean less heat generated, am I correct?

Well, that’s a bit complicated, and depends on the driver. A switching (buck or boost) driver would see less heat generation because it would be delivering lower voltage to the LED at the same Amps, so lower power consumption.

A linear driver would be doing the same, except it has to burn off that extra voltage at the driver, so it basically ends up being a wash, though it will stay in regulation a bit longer.

A FET will end up delivering more current due to the lower total resistance, so you may actually see more heat.

No i took the data by myself, next following 5 posts were made by a typo i made, but fixed it. Original post is correct. You can check yourself. Except if official datasheets are wrong.

Cree quietly sold company. “In March 2021, the company sold its LED Business to SMART Global Holdings for up to $300 million.” -Wiki

In short, CREE is not CREE anymore :wink:
BTW i cant find any XM chips in product tree apart of XHP series.

Looks like XP-L and even XP-L HI have been updated too. “Low thermal resistance: 0.5 °C/W”

Here is an older datasheet from Mouser: (CLD-DS97 REV 5)
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/90/ds_XPL-559395.pdf
“Low thermal resistance: 2.2 °C/W”

A major difference is that the updated datasheet shows a lower forward voltage. ~3.05V at 3A vs ~3.18V at 3A. Hopefully the bond wires are robust enough not to have problems with direct drive. The old rev could handle 4.2V straight.

Optical differences have been mentioned.

Well that doesn’t sound good….

I have received my new xm-l2 u4 ver.2 emitters. If someone doesn’t know, he would tell that this is a chinese led.
As for performance, i will try to measure it against other leds like old xm-l2 u4 and sst40 n5.
I did my first mod, on my old Olight M31. The driver does supply 4,35amp to the led, i measured 1390 OTF lumens. Sounds good isn’t it

The coolest color temperatures of XPL-Hi always had very good tint uniformity / color over angle and I preferred them for that reason. Hopefully this still applies with the revision. I don’t care as much if the warmer versions are inferior.

Color is a classic 1A….as expected.

I noticed that Mouser had some XM-L2’s with 02 in place of 00 on parts number. Datasheet doesn’t tell what this 02 means. It is Cree’s internal code, but no other explanation. Maybe this new version? They had some 5700K 85cri min on stock with this 02 designation.