CREE-R2-500-Lumens-LED-Stainless-Steel-Flashlight

Any one have one oftheses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-R2-500-Lumens-LED-Stainless-Steel-Flashlight-/180861990372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1c36f5e4

Tried to edit but I can't see the edit button.

I bought one because I like SS flashlights, I don't like the UI, but I'm hoping to change the driver.

$15 what have I got to lose?

I don't think XM-L and R2 go together. If it really is an XM-L, I think it will quickly overheat on high. But it is a very attractive flashlight.

Hope it turns out to be a good one! :bigsmile:

there are a couple of models which look alike (i have the Worm SS):

Worm SS

UltraFire SA-R2

Brinyte BR-S2

Sky Ray S2

SZOBM ZY-M5

MaxToch ED2R-7

unbranded

FandyFire XG-V5

UniqueFire G6

Sky Ray G6

SZOBM ZY-C16

unbranded

Other than the eBay item in the OP, the UniqueFire G6 is the only flashlight that runs on an 18650 cell and has an XM-L emitter. The G6 at Lightmalls is $26.90 and has the standard 5-modes.

EDIT: The G6 is also available at Manafont for $22.79

Read about it here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5190

Also available at aHappyDeal for $21.33

+1 Notice seller has no picture of the emitter. I think the stainless host will get way too hot. It is a very attractive flashlight and actually smaller than an S-mini.

The light posted above by racoon city looks to be the same light with a different driver.

Oh well hopefully the driver is 17mm and I can replace it with a NANJG 105 and choose my own modes.

Ordered three drivers just to have on hand from DX.

I have the Skyray G6 version of that light with an XP-G.

It is a nice-looking light that I never use, more of a shelf queen.

I never thought I would come to a flashlight forum and see a donkey schlong.

+1

I was too busy looking at the sunbathing woman to even notice the donkey dong. :p

Seller confirmed this uses Cree R2 (XR-E most likely), no T6, that was a mistake in the listing.

Boy I was hoping it was XM-L, even if underdriven. Would make a very nice 18650 pocket EDC for $15.

Burro: don't forget to show us the transplant results, measurement etc :) This really looks like a nice host!

I'll report back when it arrives.

Mm looks like I might have bought something other than what I was expecting, definitely should have bought the Manafont version.

Not much difference in total price - XM-L stars can be found for $8.xx if you shop around. $15 + $8 = $23, about the same as MF set, but you get to choose the XM-L tint, plus get that extra XR-E R2 to play with.

A nice deal if you ask me.

Well this piece of junk arrived, (what did I expect for $15?).

The switch boot is held in from the outside of the light with a brass retaining ring like you'd expect to see on the inside of a tail cap, (although there isn't a tail cap), the switch is pressed in and appears to be non replaceable.

The lens has no O ring, the positive spring on the back of the driver is tiny and off centre and the pill/heat sink is only about 1mm thick, providing very little heat sinking.

Pros the SS body looks nicely finished, but isn't suitable to mod because of the crappy switch and lack of heat sinking.

Too bad. Looks can be deceiving indeed. Though I believe switch is always replaceable, all my $1-$2 flashlight switches can be removed (I bake lots of these cheapos) with enough effort.

And being SS with poor thermal... this would be a bad host for XM-L transplant anyway.

Well, can scratch this off the list. And thanks Burro for trying this out. It's a nice gift light nevertheless. :)