Cree XPG2 S4 2B - Thoughts?

I was looking at some lumen output figures for the latest xpg2 bin and was surprised that it has now exceeded the XML T6 at 1.5 amps. This is good news if you like throw and have plenty of old xml torches. The XPG2 S4 produces 614-644 lumens versus the XML T6 546-585 lumens-wow! I just ordered a couple [2b tint] and was wondering a couple of things- 1] has anyone driven one at 3 amps? 2] What output and vf at 3amps did you record- any comments appreciated.

I have driven XP-G2 at 3 amps no problem, make sure it has direct thermal path to copper mpcb and a good heatsink, as for how bright IMHO I’d say 700-800 lumen

This is a good read

Where did you get the S4’s, Got a link?

Hi Alex, i got them from IOS on 20mm noctigons- I was wondering what actual vf was required and measured otf output of the S4 bin. I have a sunwayman t20cs running at 2.2amps with a noctigon dtp xpg2 S2 1d i get 650[at 30 sec] lumens otf and was wondering what the s4 can really produce at 3 amps.

anyone tested the vf on those ?

I just tested the S4. Direct drive it ran at 3.80A

Wow. Good news. Shouldn’t it make less heat than the XML, or not necessarily?

thanks,not bad.

Have you measured output at these amps?
Which battery did you use?

I ran a XP-G2 S4 2B emitter parallel to my Nichia 219C test, voltage and bare led output results over there:

Thanks djozz.

For some reason I totally forgot that it was on that chart.
(Night shifts really throw me off)