Crelant 7G5MT - 2x18650 with MT-G2

Initially I was told that the Collimator head would fit. I was informed two days ago that the threads are different and that it has a bit different heat sink and a new Collimator will be designed.

My order is in the Air (was supposed to ship yesterday) price will be about the same as HKE, but of course coupon codes will work and free shipping applies. Like the original 7G5v2, anyone who buys one will be able to purchase a new Collimator head when they are available at a reduced price as a thank you type of thing.

I’m hoping this thing is popular since I have a whole bunch coming in LOL :slight_smile:

I am guessing it’s going to be a very decent flooder. Review samples should go out shortly after I receive my shipment.

Thank you for your information, it seems a floody light, another MT-G2 light from Crelant, and also 1860lm, i would like to have one.

I am a fan of Crelant, too. :bigsmile:

Anyone who would not like to have this fl. speak now!
I don’t hear anything
:bigsmile:

I think where the 7G10 was kind of a dud, this has the potential to be a great light, especially with the collimator head.

The MTG2 LED itself is round, at a distance, this should translate to having a nice round hotspot with the collimator, not the square we're used to now.

Kind of sucks that old heads can't be used with it though... have 3 of those :p

I was also dis appointed in that news. Initially I was going to bring in a lot of Collimator heads at the same time. I canceled that part of the order since the threads are different. I will of course confirm once the shipment arrives.

This is probably going to be a very nice area light. It will cover a lot of square feet/meters.

MT-G2 is huuge so it needs huge reflector if you want some throw. Aspheric lens won’t change it, you’ll get some throw (but not even close to XM-L2) but also uneven beam full of dark squares.

I think it’s a typo, 180m means les than 10klux/1m, I’m pretty sure it has much more.

If they don’t change the size of the aspheric head, it’s not going to project a ‘sharp’ image of the emitter, because it’s way too big.
Small emitter aspherics have sharper projections due to the smaller light source, and with the 7G5V2 w/ collimator head (XML) the edges were always fuzzy due to the XML being too big for the aspheric glass. If they just slap the same size glass on it’s going to look even worse.

Let’s hope so, it just wouldn’t be right to toss MT-G2 and exchange it with XM-L2 to get throw.

I am a bit disappointed in MT-G2, I was hoping it will be a thrower “like never seen before”
Maybe it was too much to expect!

The problem is that giant freaking dome. If you dedome and MTG2 you reduce the surface area significantly, and you will get more throw.

Otherwise you kind of have to have a proportionally huge reflector.

If someone take a stock 7G10, dedomes it, puts the MTG2 on copper, and drives it at 8A... they will have a very nice thrower.

any volunteers :bigsmile:

Unfortunately all dedoming attempts we had (here on BLF) didn’t end so well. Why CREE just don’t send us emitters without dome, I contacted them once and requested if they could send me couple of samples (which I would pay) without the dome and they didn’t respond to that. :expressionless:
We should do a group buy for XML2/XPG2 (2 or 3 tints for each) without dome directly from CREE, I don’t get them, why is so hard to exclude one (probably last or just before packaging to rails) phase from manufacturing proces.
I bet we could eat 1000 pcs and if we join forces with “the other side” (CPF) we could get pretty high numbers…
Is there someone who knows someone that works there?

XML/XPG is simple to de-dome, the phosphor is applied to the die surface. MTG2 (and also XB-D) is a different design, where the phosphor is in the bottom layer of the silicone dome. So a specially-built MTG2 isn't as simple as just removing them from the line before the dome is applied, that would just give you a bare LED with no phosphor layer.

Taken into account all MT-G2 specs I do not how one could imagine it to be a ultra thrower.

CREE is a huge company for which 1000pcs is a joke to ask customization for.

Would take some specialized equipment, or someone with a very steady hand, but what about trying to cut the silicone dome instead, leaving a very thin layer, as opposed to a complete dedoming that's now done with the xml's and xpgs.

When I was talking about removing products from line before doming (I just made that up :P) I was referring to XM-L/2/ XP-G/2, when I contacted CREE about this MTG2 was not even announced…

but that would also be a HUGE and FREE advertisement for them with no or little hassle because we would pay for the product, that would literally be like:
“hey Mike, could you turn off doming machine for couple of seconds! Thanks”
They could also go a step further and send us a rail or two for free, that would cost them less than 1 second of TV space but would certainly have more impact than 1 second long TV commercial…

Not possible, find a thread about accidental dedoming of MTG2 emitter, the dome is not as sturdy attached like with XML/XPG, trying to cut the dome would tear it off and destroy expensive emitter…

I'm familiar with it... I'm the one who did the accidental dedoming :p

I think a hot, extremely thin, sharp wire, or blade would be able to slice off most of the dome. The reason the dome came off on mine, is I was warming up the whole head to deal with some loctite.

Oh, that’s why you sounded so familiar :bigsmile: LOL

I think I still have the dome... I'm gonna see how easy it is to cut with a heated sharp knife.

watch your fingers :wink:

why on earth would someone think an mt-g2 would make a thrower? they can throw, but purely through brute lumen power.

I’ll hold my hand up though, crelant’ s never really interested me and really dont now, so no, I dont want one.

Why not, are you emitter exper, I am not, so I was hoping, can’t blame someone for hoping…