Curious about XM-L high brightness 1AA lights

interesting you say that, i have a convoy s2 which is a shallow reflector xm-l running on an 18650 and in every indoor room i have used it in it works more then adequately, and outdoors it holds its own (not as throwy as a C8, but enough to light street signs at moderate output)

i want the most lumens i can get, if the xp-g2 could match an xm-l2 for lumen output at the same power input i would take it to get the best of all worlds

is there any cheap ones which works at high lumen? most i had as its power dimmed after like 5 mins of usage

most of the ones posted in this thread are constant current, if you search each one in google you can find output graphs, if i had hte means i would be considering the zebralight sc52

At low wattage (slightly less than far left side of tables) produced off an AA for the most commonly spec’d bins they aren’t all that much different. A tighter beam angle can actually put more light on target; this is why people with good samples of both leds can switch preferences between small and larger lights.

In light of the above conversation, I thought it may be enlightening to show a few beamshots that I just finished taking for another project a few minutes ago. You may be suprised at the lowley AA driven at 4.2V. We’ll start with the heavy hitters and work our way down from there:

First a Fenix TK76 with a U2:

Next we’ll see what a generic single cell 18650 host with a T5 emitter on an aluminum star from Fasttech can do for perhaps a fraction of the cost:

We’ll keep moving down the emitter wavelength chain with a Convoy M1 sporting a T4 emitter on a Noctigon base:

Then finally, a humble little AA cell generic host that was built with a T3 emitter for the specific purpose of doing patient assessment in the field (EG: assessing body fluids, capillary refill, and cyanosis.) The overall throw is not great, but it suprised me in that the edge of that ice shelf is about 60 meters out.

And one more for good measure looking right across the river at about 90 meters, not bad for a T3, makes me wonder what a T6 might do:

So, in conclusion, here we have a AA light with an XM-L2 T3 in a $5.00 AA host, and I am definetly enjoying it! As a picture speaks a thousand words, I’ll rest my case there, and enjoy the anticipation of awaiting your rebuttal.

I’m glad we are in agreement, i can think of 2 situations where i wanted more throw but they were for fun rather then necessity, i would not make an AA light my flagship light by any means but like i mentioned in post 18 it should be more then sufficient for most situations (its possible i would change my mind if i tried an 1AA XM-L but i am doubting it)

If the SC52 is what you REALLY want, I would save up for it. From my own experience, I can tell you that nothing else (in terms of 1xAA lights) comes close - at least nothing else that I have seen. For instance, the L10 is by no means a bad light. But it’s certainly no replacement for my SC52.

it looks like a great light, high brightness, lots of modes, side switch, high efficiency driver, i wish i had one to try before buying

As long as you’re not looking for a thrower or a pencil beam, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be satisfied with an SC52.

way to shatter my bubble, i wanted 3 hour battery life, outthrowing a C8 and 250 lm/w :bigsmile: