Curious. Has anyone here ever used the SOS feature for an emergency?........

I carry a light in my flight bag that has strobe and SOS… just in case I go down and need to get an aircraft’s attention.

But I must admit, I could care less that is has SOS, because if I see a search aircraft heading my way, I’m using STROBE, and no other. All you care is that you got their attention, the sequence of flashes is irrelevant.

Oh, and trust me, most of the lights we use here at BLF would have NO problem getting an aircraft’s attention… even in the middle of the day.

wants me to use strobe to blind her before we have sex.

I heard people with boats like SOS. However, assuming a duty cycle of 50%, the typical 1*18650 XM-L light would last ~2h. That’s why I implemented a beacon mode in my drivers instead, one short blink every 10s, runs for a week.

I find it very useful if your getting in trouble. its great to irritate your enemy.

I thought about this question myself and came to the conclusion that some people need strobe modes.
The flight back was good example, go hiking in the mountains can be another reason, weather can change in a blink of an eye up there.

Of course you can use the momentary on of a forward clicky to produce your own strobe sequence.
As somebody mentioned, almost every flashlight here on BLF should do the trick wshtf.

I do use SOS for my bicycle night cycling. I find the Strobe too alarming as it is flashing at a high frequency. I do get irritated by oncoming cycles that utilizes strobe.

The SOS blinks at a much slower pace and is useful for a bike without being too irritating.
But mostly. A High, Mid, Low is sufficient.

Recently I saved the party using a blue filter with my xml- strobe. It was on holidays at a bungalow rental and no entertainment-lighting available. It lifted the mood of everyone being sick of dancing to the music at candlelight. At this moment I was glad to have discomode, otherwise i find it expendable

I have never had to use it but I make sure to always bring a flashlight with strobe whenever I go hiking.

+1.

Never!
A waste to put them on.
Would like a moon glow .5 lumen :bigsmile:

I use mine every day ..Every time i pick up a poorly designed flashlight i have to go past some moronic strobe or sos because a chinese guy thinks it's a damn good idea ..

I'd like to kill the next person who thinks it would save his life ....just to prove them wrong .

horribly stupid idea gone bad ....

enough already

Hi Boaz :slight_smile:

All US Military Warplanes and all Navy Warships carry lights with strobe and SOS functions.

Can I be there with popcorn on the day when you declare War and kill ’em all?

(Just Kidding) :slight_smile: :bigsmile: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :cowboy_hat_face: :party: :beer:

I try to avoid flashies in my EDC lights, but I do keep some that have them in my bag, truck, boat, home, etc.

…….

I think SOS is useless.

SOS is an emergency signal and thats fine, but I could think of many other more common situations where I would like to draw someones attention.

A slow 0.5-1 Hz , (long runtime >12 hours ) beacon flash mode would be my preference.

Every time i show a light to anyone they all say the same thing ..oh wow ..dang that's bright ..!!!

(big positive )

next thing they all say is ..WTF is that .. why is it flashing ?? . make it stop I'm not interested .Why did it do that ??..I just want a light ..

(huge negative )

flashy modes would be better buried rather than hidden ..having to ever even accidentally cycle thru an annoying a sos and a strobe , just to go from high to low to high again is very,very ignorant ..So why make excuses for a poorly designed driver

Try telling a normal human that the obnoxious strobe is to stun a perp for an instant so you can cap him with your Glock when you're clearing a room ...

that stunned deadpan stare ought to tell you all you'll ever need to know ...

A hidden beacon makes sense as long as i never accidentally activate it ..

how about 3 fast clicks and hold for 2 seconds

I have no love for disco modes ..strike bezels ... funky tints ...or nasty pwm

The Zebralight SC600 probably wins the record for the most amount of clicks necessary to activate strobe. Ten double-clicks to select it, although what you’re really doing is accessing a mode that allows you to program the second high mode, and subsequently selecting strobe, which it then remembers until you program it with something else.

I would imagine that some other Zebralights are the same? I wouldn’t know as I only have the one.

Right on, Boaz!

+2

DON…