Curious with Solarstorm S3 Cree XM-L, any triple possible?

I’ve been watching this Solarstorm S3 Cree XM-L flashlight for some times and like its body construction.

I wonder if the host can be used for triple LED using noctigon board and carclo optic, I’m curious becaue I didn’t see the diameter on its specification.

Does anyone here have this light in hand? Is it even bigger than convoys?

Thanks!

On Amazon it is listed as 24mm x 95mm, so your idea might just work.

The weight is given as 56g, which seems light to me. The McGizmo this is cloned from is 75g. The 18350 Convoy is about 57g. So probably no copper pill here. If anyone has first hand knowledge, please check in……….

I would be interested to see pictures of the mod, if you go ahead with this.

This light is at least superficially similar to the much cheaper UltraFire AA-sized light I reviewed a while back.
Assuming it’s built on the same design, the lens is 20mm, making a triple a possibility, but the pill isn’t very good, and the driver is 15mm. The SK68 driver available via Mountain may be an option.

Great review too. Will be interesting to see how the CR123 version matches up. I broke down and ordered one.

As long as the bezel and head are wide enough, you can fit a triple into just about anything. I don’t own a Solarstorm S3, but from the pictures and listed dimensions it looks wide enough.

I’ve modded a number of small lights into triples including the Convoy S2+ mini, Sipik SK58, and DQG 18650 mini Tiny III

I just read one of your Sipik SK58 Mods. That looked a bit of a challenge alright!
The Convoy S2+ Mini is nice and simple. I have done three of these - Nichia Triple and Two Quads pictured elsewhere on BLF.

Now as to the Flashlight in question - the Solarstorm S3 - I have not seen the interior of that light yet.

Here is the exterior of the SS S3

And here is the likely progenitor, the famous McGizmo, also a CR123 light:

Hmmm. Well, aside from that, the question is what does the inside look like?

Heres the inside of a McGizmo:

I have worked on McG PDs and can verify that there is no pill. You can see where the emitter goes.

However, I am betting the Solarstorm is more conventional inside, with a nice mod-friendly screw-in pill.

We shall soon find out…… if USPS cooperates.

Please post some pictures when it arrives, MG.
Thanks!

Sure. Will do>

just being curious.
MG, have you got this light in hand?