Current Mod Finished! Thrunite TN31 Hi.

Well, I just noticed that I flowed solder onto one of the wrong pads… Gonna fix that before I get everything put into place! Did I mention that it stinks having to wait for stuff from China?

Finally got the new driver in! Time to get to work on it.

Stacked another resistor on top of the sense resistors.

Soldered the leads to the mcpcb and put it back together with some Arctic Silver 5. I had some difficulty centering the led under the reflector, so what I did was glue the old XM centering ring onto the new mcpcb. I ended up attaching it on an angle, it helped center the led and I think it looks kinda cool!

I put the whole thing back together with no glue this time!! Here are some beam shots of a stock TN3 and the TN31 Hi.

TN31 stock

TN31 Hi

Modded on the left, stock on the right.

I’m not sure of the lux, or the amps to the emiter on high as my dmm only goes to 500mA. I’m gonna get a lux meter here in the near future, so I’ll try to come back with some numbers for you guys. All I know is that this thing is now a BEAST! May have to get it cerakoted soon.

Thanks!!

Nice work!

The beam looks pretty good from the XP-L HI!

What value resistor did you stack on? In THIS thread I created some time ago there are some calculations about what resistors will achieve what current.

I ended up stacking another .082Ω resistor on top. If I did the math correctly, that puts me at 0.027Ω total resistance at the sense resistors. So, somewhere around 5A at the emitter? I don’t think I want to stack another .082 as that may make the resistance too low.

Nice, that’s a good number! and it might even be a tad over 5A.

So, I finally got a lux meter, did some measurements with a stock TN31 i have and the modified TN31 Hi.

My results show the stock TN31 to be at 146kcd and the modified TN31 Hi to be at 372kcd! Over 250% increase in intensity! I’m super stoked with this mod and was very pleased at how well it turned out. Thanks everyone for the help!

Congratulations on your mod, I like it :slight_smile: :beer: , I probably going to open up my TN31 and change that XM-L2 U4 1C hopefully there will be higher bins on the XP-L Hi when I do it. Great Job!

Hi,

i modded a TN32 UT. First i swapped two R062 against R030 resistors and got ~340 Klux. Then i changed the LED against XP-L Hi V3 2B and got 372 Klux, too. Then i swapped the reflector against an old TN31 reflector. With this i got much less corona and a much bigger hotspot. After some beamtuning i got now 407 Klux :slight_smile: Seems the old TN31 reflector is a little bit better than the TN32/TN32 UT reflector.

Greetings

Kenjii

TN32 UT original reflector

TN32 UT with TN31 reflector

tru3s1lv3r, what glue did you use to secure the centering ring to the copper MPCB? I don’t want to put something that will create fumes with the heat and cloud the reflector, I am going to try it next year.

Thanks!
AlexGT

Haven’t had any issues with it clouding the reflector or glass. I used just enough to hold the centering ring in place.

Adding this to my TO-DO mod list for my factory stock TN31…

I have modded a TN31 to XHP50.2, but the driver seems to have some Output voltage safety feature and does not power up
The drivers are identical in size and control ring just power different LEDs TN31 was XML2
I added some caps, replaced diode with a 20A type and changed inductor to 3.3uH, but this should not make the driver keep without any output

I need to change very likely only one voltage divider

So I would need a high res picture of this driver so I can read all resistor values

There are some excellent pic around here. Try the K50 mod thread (iirc).