Current sources versus voltage sources.

In Canada we had Meccano sets, very similar to Erector sets. I loved that and looked forward to Christmas and birthdays when it was almost a sure thing I’d get more, something different.

I eventually had like 4 sets along with the electric motors. The 120AC motor had a sorta exposed gear box. Ready to chew up small fingers.
After a few bloody finger tips, I eventually learned to keep my pinkies out of there.
Darwin at work. Didn’t need a lawyer, factory recall, or a TV segment extolling the horrors of the design.

I believe I got my love for tinkering from those types of toys. I still enjoy fussing with stuff after all these years.
All the Best,
Jeff

As I was typing that jazz above, I stopped to ponder the differences in a wagon wheel…interesting to think about. I’m not sure the string example holds water necessarily…perhaps if the equivalent masses of the other components were proportionally reduced to match the string? Impossibility, but just pointing out the material differences. Interestingly, I mentioned some “composite” spokes above, and that may not be the right categorization, but I was thinking of the very flexible rope-like fiber spokes that were around some years back. I think Gore made those, or they were licensed with Gore-something. They didn’t last long…or at least if they’re still around I haven’t heard them mentioned in at least 15 years or so.

I recall my first Erector set drawing more than its fair share of blood from my little fingers…I think we tossed the whole lot in the trash a year later but I wish I would have kept that along with other things that ended up going away!

i opened up one of those 6V 3W bicycle friction dynamo generators and the coil resistance measured about 2k Ohms.

During web search i noticed there are front wheel hub versions from shimano and panasonic, so the generator is built in to the wheel. i would guess they have less drag than the old style. Couldn’t find info on internal construction but its an interesting product.

Hub dynamos are the standard in Germany, you almost never find a friction dynamo on a bicycle if not requested explicitly. Hub dynamos are so much more reliable and more efficient.