Custom 18650 Titanium Host - Triple XP-Ls, Copper Pill, Trits

I’m not a fan of the corn knurling. That’s the main reason I lost interest in the BLF Ti light Rey currently has going. But, other than that, this light looks kinda nice. While the curved fin section of the X6 looks good, making this one a straight angle will help differentiate it. Aren’t the trit slots going to be cut-ins, not sticking out like the render?

Edit: Because this is going to be an extremely limited run, can we get some (all :wink: ) of you guys to commit to a build thread and review of this when you get it?

I know what you are saying, I think though if we made it normal knurling it would almost look the same as some of those other lights. The knurling is very olight/fenix style.

The trit slots will be machined in so they will sit flush, again the render is making it look a tad strange.

Keeping the head a straight angle instead of curved like the X6 will indeed set it apart. Need to make sure to keep similar depth to the fins though as the Titanium will not be efficient at heat removal and the deep fins will an absolute necessity.

Trits available from Bart are as quoted from his page….

1.55x5mm vials, all colors: $7.50.- each.2x8mm vials in green, iceblue and red: $11.- each.
4x20mm high pressure vials in iceblue: ($45.- each) Now $35.

I have 2 of the 4x20 and they are HUGE in comparison to the trits going into Rey’s other light. Also quite expensive if going for 8 of them! They are also very bright, 8 of the 4x20’s would be pretty intense. I also have a pair of the 2x8mm in ice blue, these would do nicely. :wink:

Just how intense are those 4X20’s, Dale? Could one be used in an incan-style reflector for a single-mode moon only flashlight? Or, if not one, maybe two or four?

If he could change those (corn) squares into diamonds I think you would have a winner?

I can answer that, I tried trits with a AA mag-reflector and indeed it throws a sort of hotspot (it is not a point source, so do not expect the hotspot to be very distinct, more like a fading thing), very dim of course, and your eyes need to be dark-adapted, but it is a useful amount of light to see things close-up.

But if you run a 5mm led +suitable resistor in series on two alkaline button cells at the same light intensity, it will run for 10 years too, with a better beam. And with a different resistor it will still run for a month with a hundred times more light.

I really dont like the corn knurling either and prefer diamond… but thats really if i just HAD to find something wrong - I will enjoy the light either way

Some of my favorite all time lights have this military style grip feature… the Solarforce L2X, Solarforce Skyline I, Solarforce M8, Olight M3X Triton, Olight M2X UT Javelot, Lucky Sun D80, all very good lights and all easy to hold onto with or without gloves.

The Solarforce S1100 and S2200 did indeed turn these blocks into diamonds and it is a very nice feature, maybe not as easily gripped in extreme situations but it does have a refinement to it that is difficult to object to.

Maybe a rendering with the blocks turned to be diamond-like would be worth a look?

Edit: A quick overlay of the S1100…

Interesting, djozz! What size trits did you use? It might be useful in places where electricity and even alkaline batteries may be scarce! I don’t know of any such place, but…

I'm not an expert but may all have to do with the construction of the lathe that Rey's machinist uses. Diamond cutting requires coordinated translation along two axis which may be more difficult than making square blocks?

But then, cutting threads requires the same, so why would diagonal knurling not work?

Guys I do agree that the traditional diamond knurling would probably look better, but personally I don’t mind the “corn” knurling, it looks similar to my TK61. But two things… I have been told we can’t get it done and if it had diamond knurling we are starting to get pretty close to the hyperlux design and I would hate to be accused of copying that light. I understand that we won’t be able to please everyone with this light but I am hoping we can find a good middle ground and if the overall design of the light is nice, I’m hoping those who aren’t too keen on the “corn” knurling can look past it.

I don’t know if Rey could provide some insight into the diamond knurling?

I tried three different sizes, also the 20x5mm. You need a place where alkalines are not available for 10 years then. (Jupiter moon mission?) .

In retrospect, I like the original plan better than the diamonds.

Ok guys, bear with me there might have been a miscommunication. We are looking into getting standard diamond knurling in place of the of the corn. If we can we should be able to get a new render done tomorrow.

The only problem with getting the diamond knurling now is that it would make me REALLY want one and there’s no room on the list for me :stuck_out_tongue: haha. Definitely appreciate the work and planning that you guys are putting into this though. It will no doubt be a special light.

Diamond knurling looks awesome and i think it would feel better grip wise. Only my opion

I find the head to be too big for the body. Having a tailcap like the hyperlux balances the look.

Also, I’m not a fan of the corn knurling. I’ll deal with it on the blf ti, but for this rare host, I’d rather skip it. Normal knurling would be better.

I also agree that the blf ti went from render to final design with numerous changes i was not fond of. If you have a good Rendering, stick with it.

I find the head to be too big for the body. Having a tailcap like the hyperlux balances the look.

Also, I’m not a fan of the corn knurling. I’ll deal with it on the blf ti, but for this rare host, I’d rather skip it. Normal knurling would be better.

I also agree that the blf ti went from render to final design with numerous changes i was not fond of. If you have a good Rendering, stick with it.

Bigger diamond knurling. (Ignore there is no gap in the tail end.)

Small normal knurling is on the go.