custom convoy m2 triple build?

If you want to make it in to a bit of a “wow” light put a 5000k MT-G2 in there with a zener modded fet driver or a stacked zener modded Qlite. That’s what I did with my M2 build and I love it. It’s pretty straight forward and has huge output. The tint should be just about spot on for you as well.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with the XM-L2, go with the 3C tint if you want close to 3B

Or for more output a XHP50

thanks for the suggestions!

help a noob out. do the MT-G2 and XHP50 have more output than an XM-L2? meaning they are more efficient given the same amperage?

is the XHP50 more efficient than the MT-G2 and the XM-L2?

Regards,
Robby

With more output comes with more heat, I have several mtg2 & xhp lights I built. Amp range from 3 - direct drive. Yes the xml2 has less Lumens but will throw better then the mtg2 or xhp LEDs. Just stick with the XML2 and parts you have.

last noob question for the day. my buddy has built 9 amp lights using FET drivers from mountain electronics, but i think that was for a triple (so, 3A each?)

can the XHP50 or MT-G2 take 9A for a single LED? what’s the max amperage an MT-G2, XHP50 or XM-L2 can take? lastly, what’s the max output at said max amperage for each of the LEDs? i know we are talking about 1,100 max for an XM-L2?

i’m assuming any one of these mofos going full blast will heat of that convoy M2 real fast, eh?

thanks,
Robby

Have a looksie here

Scroll down to where DJOZZ posts the leds and read that chart. I have that chart on my desktop to see what I am working with. BLF has a lot of information some things you'll need to ask but a lot is posted here.

thanks, i’ll research!

my buddy will basically build whatever i want (as long as it’s possible and not a total PITA).

so is your take that XHP50 (and MT-G2 for that matter) are fun for freaking people out, but less practical than a good ol’ XML-2? like and XHP50 equipped convoy M2 will be pretty floody and get hot stupid fast, so max output would basically be a turbo timer of 60 seconds, then kick down to lower amps?

might still be fun as heck to have though :wink:

that pic you had in your previous post. is that a convoy M2 you built with an XHP50? if so, do you find it still a good practical light? or just a “parlor trick” for “wow factor”?

Robby

In the lower modes my MT-G2 is very usable, the moonlight is soo low its only visible in dark rooms. It just has the added bonus that you can ramp it up to a really high output. With the ability to program 6+ modes into the drivers these days having a high output high heat emitter in a small host is really not an issue.

Okay, still reading that honking xhp thread. Understanding about 15% of it. Lol!

I am getting an idea though. Xhp70 seems overkill for an m2. And you have the problem of the dark x mark of the 4 die emitter and the doughnut hole?

Might be less pronounced with the xhp50?

And I assume there’s no doughnut or x with an mt-g2 because it’s a single emitter, right?

Is there a link to a zener modded fet driver on mountain electronics or you gotta do it yourself?

Lastly, I’m only interested in using a quality 18650 with the convoy m2 host.

How much of a beating can a single 18650 take? By that notion, I assume xhp70 is not an option. But perhaps mt-g2 or xhp50 would be suitable?

Thanks
Robby

Got to be two 18650s for mtg2 or xhp50, xhp70 and zener mod to driver. Since you chose m2 got to use two 18350s

Both XHP’s and the MTG2 are 6v emitters. If you want to use them in an M2, you’ll need 2 18350’s, it won’t run on an 18650, not enough voltage.

Can you stick two 18350s in an m2 host?

Robby

Looks like you can get a 12v version of the xhp50. Does that help or hurt the quest for a single 18650 ?

Robby

Also the battery tube is quite short. The springs dented my efest 18350s so I changed to AW 18350s which were a fraction shorter and it has been fine.

12v emitter would require 3 batteries.

Thanks lsx. I think I got it. Xml2 is 3.7-4.2v. Mtg2 and xhp50 are 6 volts. Or about 8.4v from two fully charged 18350. Am I starting to get the hang of this?

I was an art major. Lol!

Robby

Yep you’re on to it!

For MT-G2…

Driver - 17mm FET - select Zener Mod option 6V with LVP

Emitter - 20mm MT-G2

Batteries - Button Top Flat Top

The combination of batteries keeps them shorter

Awesome! I’m ready to blind UFOs now. Lol!

Thanks all
Robby

Those components would also work for an XHP50.

For the MT-G2 you need to drill out the hole in the reflector. It’s literally as simple as drilling a hole though.

I’m assuming an xhp50 would be have more output and more efficient at the same amperage compared to an mtg2? Maybe even run cooler compared to an mtg2?

With the tradeoff being the xhp50 would have a possible doughnut hole in the center of the beam and you could maybe even see the x seam of the 4 dyes?

Robby

Not necessarily.

Official specs for the MT-G2 is 2116-2232 lumens at 3A 6V and the XHP50 is 2206 lumens at 3A 6V. Both @ 25 degrees

I haven’t see what the tint looks like with the commonly available XHP50s but I know the MT-G2 has a great tint.