Customizable 1x18650 flashlight with built-in USB charger?

Hi, flashlights like Nitecore MH20, Manker U11 or Fenix UC35 V2.0 are great except their mode configurations and/or UI don’t suit my use at all. (They have too many stupid modes that i have to cycle through and/or their brightness levels don’t suit my use.)

So are there any 1x18650 lights with built-in USB charging that can be flashed/reprogrammed or customized to at least reduce number of modes?

Well, there is the Astrolux S43 for which you can customize the UI with a ramping UI, or multiple set modes, from 100% only, to 1-7-22-52-100% power. There are more of them if you like.

It’s only on preorder for now until October 4th, but will include NarsilM firmware and a micro-USB port for charging.

If reflashing is OK, BLF A6, Astrolux S1, any Emisar, Lumintop GT Mini, (not sure) any Convoy should suit you.

Neither the A6, S1, any Emisar, GT Mini, nor most Convoy’s have USB charging built in.

Why do people want USB Charging built it?.

The only indication you get that it’s charged with most is a light changing colour.
You don’t know what it’s actually at.
I prefer to put mine in a reputable charger and watch the figures.
You KNOW it’s 4.2, or whatever YOU set it for.
I have 5 internal charge torches. Never used it yet. Just another novelty to me.
Old fashioned. Or untrusting?.

Can be useful when out & about.

Oh, rechargeable? I missed that part.
Anyway, probably all the mentioned lights except for the Emisars can be retrofitted with rechargeability or even powerbank capabilities

:innocent:

:slight_smile:

Idk about you, but when I charge a battery I want it to be fully charged, nor 68.5% charge or whatever you prefer.
Newer Nitecore flashlights have a built in voltmeter that will tell you the battery voltage to the nearest .1v
Also when charging a battery fully all that matters is that you know when it’s done charging and you cna unplug it, there is no need to see what the voltage is at every second.

Build in charging requires just a micro USB or USB C cable, which almost everyone has for their phone.
Would you prefer carrying around a bulky 18650 charger that needs to plug into a wall or just a cable that can plug into any laptop or phone charger?

Fair enuff. Takes all sorts.

I have a 2 cell 12v plug in charger for car/caravan/boat. and a 4 cell one for when home based.
I know they cut out at 4.2. and the 2 cell one fits in my pocket.

I tried a couple of the built in chargers at first. But found that AFTER they charged.
I could put battery’s into ext charger and top up?. even the $160 Imalent.

When I ext charge. I don’t need to top up. They at the set 4.2 then.
You happy, Me happy.

Have a gud’n hey.

Well it depends on what flashlights you tested. cheap ones have crappy charging circuitry that sometimes isn’t even safe.
A high quality charger will terminate very close to 4.2v.

Budget forum. Remember.
Imalent. Astrolux. Coupla three no names, and a Jetbeam from memory.
I normally have a spare battery or two to suit my torches in bag so it don’t really matter usually.
I prefer to carry a single battery torch in most cases. It’s lighter.
and both my 2 cell 2A chargers have mix of wall and USB points, one has car charger on it
All the extra battery does in most cases as a double. is give longer run times.
But there again I prefer a 26650 cell over the new mid range ones. I find it more comfortable in my hand. 18650 and that other one a bit skinny. (sorry 77 yrs. a bit forgetful with numbers)
I remember a good single Malt though. I’m just sipping one now.
Commiserating the wife (from Melbourne) After watching Grand Finals and seeing the Roosters thrashing the much expected to win Melbourne,
Really taught them a lesson in Rugby. Then some. (bloody arrogant Victorians) Watch it sometime.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5000-lumenXM-L2-LED-Rechargeable-Flashlight-l2-Lantern-Waterproof-camping-Flash-Lamp-1-18650-battery-charger/32802879683.html

Reviewed by someone here long ago (a year or more) who bought it from GearBest, but cheaper in Cheapliexpress. O:)

Handy torch, throwy. Ramp down/up brightness adjustment, although it doesn't go very low. Charges at ≈500mA via TP4057 integrated circuit. The output voltage in these chips can vary significantly, this probably is because of little to no quality control. I had to fix a unit who was outputting 4.46V by swapping the onboard TP4057.

Cheers ^:)

I expect the same holds true for many of the charging circuits in flashlights

Everyone had a different budget.
Some budgets are larger than others.
You’ll find plenty of people around here with $150 BLF GTs or $60 nitecores.

The BLF GT is cheap for what you get - so it belongs in BLF.

@Barkuti - Ramping? I have this light, mine only has on/off and strobe after double-click
Edit: Ah, OK, never knew about this mode. sadly the light can’t be switched on with low ramping - just high and then downwards. Not really useful

@Barkuti thanks for the suggestion. I found this one on aliexpress as well: Sofirn New SC31 USB Rechargeable LED Flashlight 18650

The prices on aliexpress are shocking tbh. Free shipping as well. I normally don’t like to buy cheap chinese electronics because i don’t want to burn my house down though. Not sure to what extent i should trust the built-in charges in these lights. Maybe not charge it in the house? Don’t really care if my car burns to a crisp. Am i reasonably safe with protected batteries though?

Btw, the Convoy S9 has a USB charger. Can it be flashed/reprogrammed?

Sofirn is doing overall good, by that rule I doubt the SC31 will be a bummer. Just an opinion.

Cheers ^:)