CUSTOMS SEIZURE: Enlan Knives from Exduct!!!

I don't know if owning one is illegal or not - just don't be caught with it.

Definitely.

That's a great idea. Even though I don't agree with everything they do, the NRA, SAF, GOA and CCRKBA have been simply doing an outstanding job defending our right to keep and bear arms with regard to firearms, but nobody (except Knife Rights) seems to really give a damn about knives. And that's just in the US, where most laws are at least somewhat sane. Sure, you have some municipalities that fly completely off the handle but at least, most state and federal knife laws aren't completely arbitrary.

I know it takes some serious leadership and a ton of money to get things of the ground but look what the SAF did in one decade: the NOLA suit after Katrina hit, the SF ban and of course Heller and McDonald. In terms of

I've had no problem ordering a few from "hatethatgiraffe" here:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?113004-SRM-and-Enlan-knives

Very good service from him.

Gravity Flick knife .. Just a damned lose blade ...

I have tried to contact Exduct about tightening blades on Liner lock knives [ legal as long as they dont gravity flick ]

But no reply , so I currently stick to lock backs , But a lot of Liner Lock knives Id like to buy , if the blades were tight ...

My Flash I - Black TiNi got through customs from the states.

It's all about luck.

I have ordered at least 50 knives and they all got through.Some of my Enlans were opened by customs, and had an inspection sticker, but made it through anyways.I did notice that a few of the latest Enlans, I recieved, were on the loose side..I had to tighten the pivot screw..The older Enlans, I ordered, didn't have that problem, and were adjusted tight.From now on, I am going to request the vendor tighten the pivot tighter than factory stock.Let's see that Jackass, customs dude, flick open that puppy.

I have ordered at least 50 knives and they all got through.Some of my Enlans were opened by customs, and had an inspection sticker, but made it through anyways.I did notice that a few of the latest Enlans, I recieved, were on the loose side..I had to tighten the pivot screw..The older Enlans, I ordered, didn't have that problem, and were adjusted tight.From now on, I am going to request the vendor tighten the pivot tighter than factory stock.Let's see that Jackass, customs dude, flick open that puppy.

Ok Here is the latest…

I spoke with the customs guy by phone, the actual guy whose badge is the same one who did the inspection. Not a bad guy at all, he realizes these are not “designed” to be flick knives, but it seems his hands are tied as they really do centrifugally open (at least for him) if you “flick” them. Niether he nor I am aloud to modify ot tighten them at this point... Too Bad... So I sent a letter for appeal although I don’t think it will make a difference, he did tell me that I can have then shipped to the USA –have someone tighten them –then ship them back, so I guess he is trying to help me understand how I can still get my knives, as I have relatives in Indiana –I guess that is what I will end up doing after the appeal... IF I don’t have to jump through too many hoops!

So you know, I have ordered lots of knives before from various HK vendors, and I have several of the Enlan knives as well as a few Ganzo Axis locks, and the 6 EL01D’s did come through to me…seems none of this is the issue… they just have to be TIGHT… so as not to be able to flick open… just a pain really to have to go through this… STILL Buyer beware!

yeah I remember emailing exduct when I ordered my enlans and asked them to tighten the pivot screw because I was afraid of seizure..they said they didn't have a tool to do so and they shipped them the way they were..I took the chance and they got through fine, but they were factory tight when I got them..so I doubt emailing exduct and asking them to tighten the screw etc is going to work when buying off them..

good luck getting it all sorted out

I have had a number of knives and lights "inspected by AUS customs". I wonder if they keep a register. Maybe I should try a different name and use my work address.

Would this kind of packages have a better chance to go through customs, if they were send from another person, not a chinese company?

Or do they like X-ray _everything_ at Canadian border or do frequent random checks?

CopperTop-

Did you mail them to a US address to have them tightened and then shipped back to you?

I am still waiting for the reply from the appeal, and if it fails then instructions on how I go about getting them shipped to the states, All I have received is the acknowledgement that four shipments (4x2knives) are under appeal, but no decision yet… on a side note… don’t take this wrong but it is a female agent doing the appeal… maybe she has a weaker “flicking” wrist than the original agent who inspected them… here’s hoping…

I'm more than happy to tighten them and send them to you, if the appeal is successful.

Don, thank you for the information!

I always carry an assisted opening knife in my front pocket when I go exploring underground (the other pocket carries a backup flashlight of course). We do technical rope work and the possibility always exists of getting something caught in the descender when rappelling down a shaft. I keep the knife handy in case I need to cut myself out of a jam (clothing, hair, etc). Being able to open a knife with one hand is very useful when hanging 50 meters above the ground. I may be heading to Wales this summer for a week of mine exploring with some of my UK friends. I would have certainly packed my knife along with my lights, helmet, and climbing gear. You may have saved me from a run-in with customs or the police.

Joanne

Thanks for the offer Chicago, my inlaws are in Indiana though so i think we would just go that route. It is no problem here in Canada if you can open the knife with one hand, even using the blade "tang" -you just must not be able to "flick" it open with one hand, then they consider it a centrefical opening knife and it is prohibited. -the appeal letter said I would have 20 days to add anything to it, and we are well past that now -so hopefully I hear something soon

Sometimes we forget to appreciate the freedoms we have. Thank God we have this amendment in the Republic of Idaho

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

I'm proud to say everyone in our household exercises this right each and every day.