CW-NW-WW Triple LED...a crazy idea?

I’m the one who bought the angel eyes…über cool flashlight. That’s what got me thinking about a triple with matched Crees or Nichias incorporating the whole temperature spectrum.
(Actually the center LED in the Angel Eyes is a neutral 3C)

I think the light will be rather pleasant and high CRI, but not much different from what happens in one neutral high CRI led like the Nichia 219 (using a thought out mix of phosfors to convert the blue light to the desired distribution of longer wavelengths).

You may be right, but, we’ll never know until a real working model is built and tested. It could be a scientific breakthrough worthy of a Nobel nomination.

well, in theory you can look up the emission spectra for the three leds at the used drive currents, add them up and compare the combined spectrum to any single led spectrum, I predict there is a led around that matches it closely. There's not that much magic going on in those emission spectra. The hard thing is to obtain a nice spectrum and still maintain a good efficiency.

This way no light has to be build. It will be difficult though to obtain the right spectra for the different leds, the spectra provided by Cree for instance are not very precise and not for every tint separately.

I do vote for that Nobel prize though ,it's about time the flashlight community has their own Nobel laureate .

I think the central beam would be a nice neutral, but your outer spill would be three different “colors”.

You may also be right, but, just the same, that’s all on paper. Where’s your sense of adventure? I’d love to see a working model in order to prove, or disprove the written theory.

I thought about that too. The result could be quite nasty.
Perhaps Nichias or XP-G’s in a tight optic would help homogenize the beam and reduce the mismatched spill?

Yeah, have to work on that . (or: 'that's what she said' )

Why don’t you ask nightcrawl about his recent Dr jones driven p60

Or it may have been shadoww…

This one?

Well.. the hotspot melts together, so its NW. The spill has the typical "weird" form you get with optics and I can tell which LED is which by the color.

I doubt that mixing together a NW, a CW and a WW led would really make a difference compared to just using 3 NW LEDs right away. Lets say the NW illuminates RGB all the same: 1 1 1. CW illuminates 0 1 2. WW illuminates 2 1 0. Adding that up we get 3 3 3. Non-scientific, might not be true, but thats pretty much what I see on my quad dropin.

That’s the one. :slight_smile:

O-L is trying to look the other way, LOL. I think three leds in one optic would not look good (yes, I know, I know and mine looked strange), but what might be different would be three tints of XP-G in a TIR 3 up. It would be different, but probably not prizeworthy. Or, red, green, blue and white in the center.

Why do I come here?UndecidedWink

That’s what I meant, three XPG or three Nichia in different tints. XM-L would have too obvious of a three tint spill. I really do think using a narrow optic would help solve the multi hue spill problem…but I’m really just making all this stuff up.

I hope you mean to mount them in a triple optic, right? Something like a srk, with three different emitters?

The ledil Cute-3 optic does a nice job of mixing. It might blend the three coronas better than the typical clear triple.

I think you are ..I'm sure lots of people have thought about it when judging one emitter over another .. like .."what about both of them ..??" Sadly I don't think it makes it any better .. you don't need anything except three lights with three different tints to figure this one out .. i think it's just easier to find a light with a tint you like .maybe tossing a high cri into the mix might work but i bet you really wouldn't notice it ..why not just run 3 or 5 or 7 or mine instead ??? wait are we talking about an aquarium ??:P

LOL :bigsmile:

I’ve been wanting such a product for quite a while, actually.

I use two 2700K bulbs and two 6500K bulbs (all CFL) in my bathroom to get good color rendering for makeup. No single color temperature shows me the colors well enough, but the combination is quite nice.

So, I’d like to get a similar effect from LEDs. Ideally, two or three shades in a puck light, or perhaps in a series of small, wall-mountable uplights. All chainable and plugged into a wall outlet.

The Carclo frosted triple might do a better job of mixing at the expense of focus and output.