D4V2 SST20 needs to go

New to this adventure and after ordering an D4V2 SST20 and an D4K 519A I simply cannot stand the green tint of the SST20 so it needs to go! Love the 519A.

Unfortunately I also ordered additional tubes, magnet, clip so will never come close to getting my $ back so I am curious what my options are for either just buying a whole new light or if the emitters can be changed?

Emitters can be changed. But I would first try the SST-20s shaved (if they are high CRI).

What SST-20s do you have? Hi CRI?

I’ve had luck “shaving” the dome on SST-20 LEDs and dropping the duv by ~0.0025, which brings them from OK to Good, or “not so great” to OK, depending on the LED bin and your tastes.
My experience is that shaving the dome down to ~1.2mm total puts the very near neutral to slightly negative.

The SST-20 will still have more shift over drive current than the 519A. (more green at low current. more red at high current).

For examples on how to do this, search around on this site. It really isn’t hard if you have something the correct thickness and a sharp razor.
I have a thread on slicing the 519A. There is some “how to” discussion. It applies to 519A, SST-20, LH351D, etc.

I always start with a thicker shave of ~1.4mm. The first cut can be a little rough, but once the dome is flat, it is easier to get a smooth cut.

FB

Here is the thread with some slicing info:

FB

If you have a frosted TIR, I've found that slicing just a tiny bit of the top off (like a fraction of a mm) makes the tint (and tint consistency) much better. In my 519A experience, deeper slices actually induce tint shift in the other direction (pink center, green edge).

The reason why a very slight slice works is the interplay between the TIR and convex lens parts of a triple/quad optic--each well of the optic consists of a ring-shaped TIR part and a central tiny convex lens. Slicing just a bit of the top off doesn't really affect the TIR part, but makes the apparent image of the die smaller when seen from the top, giving a more focused beam through the convex lens. The convex lens only receives frontal emission (the pinkest part) and thus pulls in more pinkness from the spill to the hotspot once its beam becomes narrower and more intense.

Just checked a sliced SST-20. No tint shift across the beam.

I would call 1.2mm total (this is the height off the MCPCB) a fairly deep slice, and there is no tint shift across the beam, either with a TIR or bare (mule).
This could be TIR or reflector dependent.

I’ve sliced/shaved many 519A in different CCTs and they all acted the same. Very predictable. I can “tune” the CCT. None of them had worse tint shift after slicing.
These were in Wurkkos WK01s which have a reflector. I use the terms shaved and sliced interchangeably for removing some of the dome.

Example of a shaved SST-20 4000k hi CRI in Sofirn C01S (low power AAA light). All #s taken with Opple LM Pro, so approximate.

No Shave: CCT: 3676, duv: 0.0010
1.4mm Shave: CCT: 3680, duv: –0.0012
1.2mm Shave: CCT: 3685, duv: –0.0025

I repeated this on (4) different SST-20 LEDs. All behaved very similar. No significant change in CCT. Noticeable duv reduction.

BTW… this same method works on SST-20s, 519A, and LH351Ds (all high CRI). I haven’t done shaved SST-20s in triples and quad TIRs, but plenty of LH351Ds have worked out great.

FB

Put a minus green filter on it before thinking about giving up on such a nice light . Years ago I won a D4 in a GAW from Mountain Electronics and was terribly excited to get the newest hottest Hank light at the time . I ordered it in a 4000k Nichia 219C which ended up being a pretty poor greenish tint .
I know I sell the stuff so it may come off as a sales pitch but why not spend $4 to fix 15 troubling lights with green tints . ?
private message me and I’ll send you a solution to your green gremlins

Could be worse, could be an sst40.

Solved the problem by ordering another with the 519A and will sell the SST20 if I can

Boaz has you covered, and if you still want to get rid of it, I got traaaaades :wink:

Who needs a Cyan D4V2 SST20?
Mint condition
Reasonable offer ?

Any trade considerations

No thanks

GLWS, may have luck in the Want to Sell section.

Everything has a price. This is by no means a bad deal. Nice light. Hell it’s an Emisar.

I must have gotten lucky because my SST20 is not green and looks very neutral to my eyes.

Eyes really are amazing. Just ask a light meter. Amazing.

Yes, there is a lot of subjectivity with temps and tints.

I personally gravitate towards warmer, rosy lights for EDC carry. I like to have a neutral LED around 5-6K for work as I need some throw.

Which tint are these SST20s?

Type of driver?