Dark sport on hot-spot with D4v2 and Nichia 219b and 219c

I’m not a particular fan of the 719A, as it somehow manages to have both lower output AND lower CRI compared to 519A at the same power. And the stacked-die thing that’s supposed to triple intensity was a total flop. Nichia could have just released a factory-domeless 519A which would be better in every way.

The 219C-V2 would be an interesting emitter, but from what I’ve seen it’s also R9050 and has a smaller die, so it won’t handle as much power as the 519A/FFL.

The 219C die is known to be pretty tough (goes to 5-6A just fine), and Nichia gets pretty good R9 even for R9050 emitters, usually an R9 of 70 or so. The die is smaller but not tiny, probably comparable in size to an XP-G4 HI but with better tint and CRI. I really want to get some but they’re not being sold anywhere.

The CRI is unfortunate, but the lower output is inherent to the domeless construction. It’s a similar lumen-watt curve to a dedomed 519a

The 219C can handle the current, but won’t produce as much output as a larger-die emitter like the 519A. The output of the blue die is limited by power density and heat, and so is the efficiency of the phosphor. But yes, it should certainly be an upgrade over the XP-G4 HI. It really does suck that nowhere seems to stock the 219C V2, it has potential to be the throwiest emitter in the R9050 CRI class.

The 719A has two advantages over the dedomed 519A when it comes to spectral efficacy: lower CRI (less power spent on deep red which contributes little to lumen count) and greener tint (more green which is the color that contributes the most to lumen count). Thus, to achieve the same efficacy as a dedomed 519A despite the more advantageous spectrum is truly a step backwards in efficiency.

You are forgetting the Cree XP-P, which has a 1mm² die, same as an Osram W1.

The XP-P in CCT≤5700k are available in Ra90 (in theory), which has a typical R9 of 50. The version in Ra90 3000k is known to have decent tint too.

It did not occur to me that the XP-P is available in 90CRI! Though generally Cree tint and R9 tend to be worse than Nichia even within the same CRI class. Idk if this is correct, but my impression is that Cree’s CRI values are typical values, while Nichia’s are minimum values. Maybe the 219C V2 will be an analogue of the Osram PM1, with a 2mm^2 die.

It is not, the die is significantly larger. The dimensions are on the datasheet for it, it is comparable to a Cree G-size die.

Thanks for the fact check, the datasheet appears to indicate a die size of (1.6mm)^2=2.56mm^2, which is larger than the 2mm^2 of the Osram. But still far smaller than the 4mm^2 of the 719A (or 519A if one assumes they have the same die size).