DavidEF HandMade - 4th Annual BLF / Old Lumens Scratch Made Light Contest

Lots of different ways to solve problems and each one leads in a different direction. 1/2” copper pipe and fittings are a good size for drivers. Home Depot has some different size aluminum tubes. I’ll be using a cigar tube I obtained earlier this year from another member as it’s just about right to fit over 3/4” copper but before I remembered it I was going to use a broken aluminum 27.2 mm seat post. Try and find a local salvage yard. Lots of things that cost a bunch new are sold by the pound used. Also, aluminum parts that fit well don’t need solder to carry current, just decent contact pressure, for example: flashlights. Soda cans work well as shim material and if you remove the ano will pass current just fine.

Update in OP.

Nah, couldn’t get the pics to load. Did you use google drive for them? I’ve always had to use a separate image hosting site, never could share them from drive.

they wont load for me this pics

Thick walled light, should be bullet proof.

Your description sounds a little Mad Max meets Larry Light. Sounds pretty cool.

You should consider getting a bench top drill press. You seem interested in fabricating stuff. Even a cheap drill with some drill bits, high speed cutting wheels, and end mill bits will enable you to do a ton of improvised machining. Just ask O-L or CC. Your imagination will be the only thing holding you back.

I’m still using the same drill press from HD that I bought 20 years ago. I would love to have something better, but I just don’t use it enough to justify spending big dollars.

There are a couple posts here to give you an idea of some other things than drilling holes that can be done with a drill press (Posts 189 and 209):

Mine is just a bench top Dewalt from HD. It spins and has a flat spot. ’Bout $100 but does quite well. My older heavier duty one had a rotating bed which would be handy but the bearing collar broke.

I buy tools when I have a use for them at work or when it’s cheaper to buy than rent. Can’t afford the luxury of things I don’t use enough or have room to store and if you don’t have a bench then there’s not much call for things to put on it. The beauty of this contest is that how you make it factors into how it’s judged so there’s less pressure to buy tools in order to compete. In fact, I would say that the hand made category should favor hand work over power work even though power tools are allowed. You just have to be able to pull it off. The two big advantages of a drill press over a hand drill are safety since both the work and he tool can be fixed plus you can remote your hands from the work and accuracy both in square to surface and depth of drilling. Figuring out ways to overcome limitations are a part of it and how tools came to be improved in the first place.

Still can’t see the pics though.

I agree and am not trying to pressure DEF to buy a drill press for the competition. There have been some amazing lights built without drill presses here. Just mentioning it as one has greatly expanded my capabilities.

Yeah, mine too. :+1:

Yea, I’m going to have to use a drill press for my build. I’m probably going to have to bite the bullet too and buy an end mill bit to use in it. Gonna have to make a shelf some how.

^
I’m the last person you should take end mill bit advice from as I have very, very little experience with them. I have this set from this vendor and they work well so far, but I haven’t used them much yet. I paid $9 more than the below price two years ago.

I still can’t see any photos)

That’s a nice set. I’ve just been buying the from Drills and Cutters since they have pretty reasonable prices.

Just tried again with the pictures. Google’s motto used to be “Don’t Be Evil.” I guess I’m the only one who believed them. :person_facepalming:

I can see your pictures. I had the same problem with google photos, they don’t make it easy and I had to try twice to get them to work. The link they give you is not really what you need, and sharing settings need to be just right.

Yay the pictures are working. Looks like some more interesting stuff. :slight_smile:

HaHa! I just posted on yours that I could see your pictures too. Yay! Success for us both! :smiley:

We have winners everywhere. :+1: :beer: