DavidEF's entry in the Hand Made Category of the 3rd Annual Scratch Built Contest

Looks like a pretty challenging project to me. Best wishes on the build and I totally hear you on life getting in the way. It is a hobby and hobby is the first to be sacrificed most of the time.

I don’t see the later pictures either.

+1 :frowning: Maybe it’s a stealth light, only visible when turned on?

Fixed the pictures, I think. Let me know if you still can’t see them.

Works now, thanks. A lot of careful work there.

Lots of aluminium waste there along with the sweat and aching muscles. Nice effort.

I’m impressed with how well you were able to cut the sides. Just looking at the off cut it looks pretty good and better than I would have done.

I’m pretty embarrassed about stuffing my thread full of minute details. I’d much rather be moving quickly enough that each picture represented a unique step in the process of building a flashlight. Anyway, as for the side cuts, it’s funny because I thought I did pretty poorly. I worked in Electrical Construction for 10+ years, and I learned pretty quickly that cutting straight with a hacksaw was a necessary skill. One of the first things a green helper was required to do was cut conduits to length. If the end was cut at any sort of angle, everybody laughed at you for cutting a “whistle”. The longer you were in the trade, the worse the ridicule for not being able to cut straight. Well, if I had tried cutting the aluminum all the way down each side, instead of cutting half way and flipping it to finish cutting from the other end, it would have been a “whistle” cut for sure. :Sp

Cutting something like that, straight, with a hacksaw, is a royal pain in the arse. I must be whistler's mother, because I can't cut straight with a hacksaw to this day. I end up spending hours with a file, or a sander, trying to get it flat.

nice work for cutting that with a hacksaw! :slight_smile: aluminum is very difficult to work with when cutting, (the metal tends to “plug up” saw blades and fuse to the teeth.

Yeah, aluminum does plug up saw blades, drill bits, and such. I used water as a lubricant while cutting this aluminum bar, to help keep the hacksaw’s teeth clean.