DBSAR - The 2nd. Annual BLF Scratch Made Light Contest Entry / UPDATE -June 27th, more photos

its like a super-bright Tritium glow tube, only it uses a low-power emitter barely glowing on a high-ohm 1/8 watt resistor, so a switch is not needed as it will run at least a year on a set of AA batteries.

Nice the way your “ported” it.

Very cool indeed. Like where you are going with this.

Pic 4 in your 4/23 update looks like it could be handy peace pipe. One that you could use to find the peace pipe smoking tent in the dark.

Cool glow effect!

UPDATE # 3 to the original Post above. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see it fully assembled.

The Light Pipe Light, a fitting name. :wink:

You got links to the glow emitter and resistor and how you have them set up? Is it DD from two alkaline? Why the plastic tube and how do they fit in there?

People want to know, LOL.

Especially when I could see doing that in a Mag D head sometime!Laughing

The Resistor was a 1/8 watt metal-film resistor i salvaged from my bin of resistors below. ( which the bin of resistors are all salvaged from scrap circuit boards)

I tested dozens of different resistors with various levels of resistance, and found that 18.6 K-ohm (18600 ohm) one was the highest resistance i could find/test that would still allow the tiny LED i was using to glow, but so high of a resistance its almost like an open-circuit on the two AA Cells, so they would run continuously for months, (so far a tested 10 months on the same set of batteries continuously and still running !) and the glow output is still far brighter than any Tritium tube i seen.)
I found however that various LEDs were different. many of the green and white LEDs i tested required a lower value of resistor to glow, ( 8000 ohms or lower) meaning they needed more current to illuminate. I found that the blue & red ones i salvaged from a set of those solar powered LED micro-strings (tiny Xmas light style) seemed to be the most efficient, and required the least amount of voltage and current to emit light at a glow-level from testing dozens of LED and resistor combinations.

The 18.6 K resistor is simply in the circuit on the positive lead to the LED, and i used a piece of 1/4” vinyl clear/blue tubing i found in the garage that held the LED and resistor as an insulator, pressed into the brass tube. (as seen in one of the photos above)

The Mini LED Solar light strings and Resistors can be found on Ebay, or Radio Shack may have the Resistors. ( or if you have lots of patience and some old circuit boards laying around, you could test the resistors with a Ohm-Meter to find one close to the one i used as i did with the bin of salvaged resistors i have. :slight_smile:

I can take a photo of the types of LEDs if you wish to see for reference.

That is incredibly nice work. Love it :-)

So cool, looks like a miniature steampunk submarine.

Update # 4 of the SteamPipe Light is added in the OP, along with first impressions and first photos of the light. :slight_smile:

That came out nice! Really like what you have done here. And totally love how you intend to use it. So unique and so damn pretty too. I know I know. I am a sucker for shining brass and copper. I just cannot help it ;-) Great work.

What can I say but orsm. Anymore pictures?

Great work DenBarrettSAR
I can say that i like the look but what i like more is the functionality u filled this project. That always glow to find led its an very interesting idea and glad you have realized well enough it seems.
Overall it looks strong enough to tolerate some abuse and that is a plus in my book too.
Using old Brass fittings and pipe is a good idea, myself whenever i see a store with some hydraulic parts i stare at them thinking how to use, glad didn’t fellow that route for my build otherwise would be a very clear failure compared to your build.
Waiting for more photos, i feel this build deserve little more show. again congrats and wish you best luck in the contest.

I will take some more photos soon to post, especially on the Back Country trip where i plan to use the light. :slight_smile:

That is so, contraptular! It defies description. Awesome. Great build and looking forward to more pics.

Amazing work!

bravo!!!

excellent build.

Great finish to your project. Sort of a Retro-Spy007 light. One small suggestion. To protect the side dome light, find some thin brass rod to make a cage [of a sort] to keep the dome from bumps and breaks. Good luck w/ the contest BTW.