DD XP-L - more throw than DD XM-L2?

Or about the same? Is the emmiter die size the same for both, it is just the footprint that is larger for the XM-L2?

Highest XP-L bin (that I know how to get, IDK where to get W2) V6, vs XM-L2 U4.

XP-L will have more throw, but not by much.

The die size is the same, and the highest bins are the same too AFAIK, the XP-L and XM-L2 just use a different binning code. The XM-L2 with its larger foorprint should stay a bit cooler but in practice that is not convincingly found to be the case.

Kaidomain sells W2.

I have bad experience with blown bond wire even at 5.5A on latest gen XML2 had no problem with DD-ing XPL.

Really? I can’t seem to find them.

Thanks to all for good info so far.

I didn’t know KD had W2, has it been confirmed they are legitimate? (I had heard that sometimes in the past KD had sold incorrect bins)

I do plan to use a FET driver, so the information about bond wires blowing at 5.5A is very relevant. :open_mouth:

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026966.Cree-XP-L-HD-W2-1B-White-6000K-6500K-LED-Emitter

Thanks! Man, I really despise kaidomains search function.

It used to be different, but KD seems to be serious about their emitters for a while already: usually they list a photo of the reel information, atm they are the first to sell new types of leds, and update existing leds with better bins and sometimes high CRI. And although leds are difficult to judge, I have heard no stories yet that they sell something different than what they list.

SST-40 ERA

I’m reading up on SST-40 (djozz threads) as we speak, but do you know if they dedome well with solvent (like gas, but I prefer to use Xylene)?

I may have to order one just to try.

They dedome just fine in Nitro thinner.

This: its bond wires are 100% thicker than any XML

Unfortunately( for me) i cant find any suitable 5000-6000k binned sst-s

I ordered some SST-40… AND an XP-L W2 to try out. Can’t have too many I guess.

GL trying dedoming those :slight_smile:

Yes the W2’s from Kadomain are the real deal, I have many of them that Ive compared to other W2’s in my stash and did amp draws on them also. I have cherry picked LED’s before and seen differences of 1 amp or less, but I’m seeing up to 2amp differences in what I assume are from the same reel of LED’s. Has anyone else experienced this with the XPL’s or in this case the W2’s?

I wish I could get a hold of some of that Nitro Thinner, I have been using the strongest thinner I can find, it’s a Dupont IMRON thinner, it works but I have gone thru a Gallon of the stuff so far?

Any idea’s of what could be close to the Nitro stuff that would compare to something that could be obtained in the states?

By the way I’m Hot Chemical de-doming and so far it’s been great for the SST40’s and XPL’s and XHP35’s, but has been too rapid of a release for the (old) XHP70’s that I have tried. The 70.2’s dome released quickly and some what cleaner which makes sense if you compare how thick the old bonding is compared to the thin bonding on the 70.2.

Yes it will take a bit of scraping, so a steady hand is a MUST! :smiley: