De-domed a Costco TechLite - Royal Blue output result

you probably pulled off the phosphor AKA the yellow layer.

I’m gonna try it on a second one to see if I can duplicate. I’ve de-domed a lot of lights and none have given quite this result. I gotta say it’s the most intense blue I think I’ve ever seen and quite beautiful to behold. The phosphor on this particular LED came off cleanly without any weird artifacts either. Maybe it’s the particular emitter they used.

I’l report back if #2 does the same.

This is the problem, you’re supposed to leave it on. It acts as a wavelength shifter which means it absorbs the UV/blue, and re emits it as a lower wavelength.

The emitter isn’t the problem, but if you can keep the phosphor on then you’ll get your desired result.

In this case getting a blue output was inadvertantly desirable because I was already in the market for a UV semi-thrower. Point being that vast majority of emitters I’ve de-domed don’t lose the phosphor. This one did completely.

If the emitters end up being Royal Blue emitters (most likely) instead of UV, you could put them in a lantern and wrap a remote phosphor sheet around the inside. Ought to give nice no glare lighting.

Yikes! lol

This thing definitely causes ‘fluorescence’ and throws it out there a bit too. I reckon if you’re trying to locate scorpion especially at a more pinpoint distance this just might be the ticket.

See PilotPTK’s post #8 of the below thread. This is what the TechLite’s emitter now looks like. Btw IIRC it’s just a regular lower bin XPG.

That would be cool if it has enough UV. I’ve been shopping for them and good ones cost more than I want to spend. Do you know what emitter that light has in it?

Not an R5 bin though. Supposedly the latest 250 lumen versions have that bin.

I think it generates definitely enough UV.

does it attract bugs at night?

Beware! Biological effects of high-energy visible light - Wikipedia

Also, your eye is not very sensitive to blue light. It is MUCH brighter than you think. Your iris won’t close down to protect your eyes.

Also also, in some LEDs the phosphor is mixed into the dome, not a separate layer on top the LED die. Early XRE’s were made this way.

XT-E/XP-Gs are puny. Now make one of these, and drive it at 3+ amps.

Make sure you have the right kind of special glasses before you switch it on, though.

MIG, TIG, or acetylene?

Yep, the intensity of a de-domed Royal Blued emitter reminds me intensely of a welding arc which itself is definitely not a good thing for unprotected eyes ever. lol

LOL I don't have any glasses either, that's why I keep it stored away with no driver installed, so at least if (when) I am tempted to play with it it gives me some time to change my mind. So far it's worked.

So whatever these TechLite emitters use they lose their phosphor pretty darn easy.

I’m kinda afraid now of venturing outside tonite with one of these only to discover the house is surrounded by 5,000 scorpions 100 yards in every direction. :open_mouth:

I’ve decided to engrave……DANGER! Don’t stare at light……on both torches.

pee on something and see if it fluoresces. Does it need to be dry? You may need to use a hair dryer to speed things up.

No fluorescence when wet. Dry pee? I’ll know in about half and hour. lol

I also shined it on my ‘Transition’ eyeglass lenses. No darkening whatsoever. If this was putting out the right UV wavelength I suppose it should darken them. I guess what I’m saying is that just because they didn’t darken may not necessarily mean they’re not putting out UV.

Now does it act like a blacklight? Most definitely. You know those little sticky bright green dots you can get at Staples, Office Depot? They shine up real good. Certain colors on merchandise boxes for instance light up like no tomorrow. Plant leaves take on a weird hue. If I were a kid with these I’d be tripping out over a Jimi Hendrix poster right about now. :smiley:

I even tried it on my auto-darkening welding helmet. Nada.

Now just don’t ask me to do a number 2 and see if that fluorescences. Ok, ok, I’ll slice open a vein here and see if blood shines up. :open_mouth:

The things we do in order to further science.

There's interesting glowy-things on most U.S. currency as well...

They sure put a lot of little ‘20’s’ on the back didn’t they? I mean you can still see them with the naked eye but shine this Costco Royal Blue on one and you can definitely tell if it’s counterfeit or not. They shine up like a Christmas tree. lol

The pattern that all those “0”’s in the 20’s is called the Eurion Constellation. It appears on a LOT of banknotes worldwide. Color copiers can detect it and refuse to copy whatever it appears on. See EURion constellation - Wikipedia

Well that's why you should always keep an old-tech scanner & printer on hand and in working condition. I mean, hypothetically, of course...