DeDome Red LED?

Can a red LED (namingly a XP-E2 Red) be dedomed to get higher lux while retaining the color?
My old red LED from SolarForce shorted. I can ask Vinhnguyen54 to solder the components together. Sadly, this is too late for this year’s Halloween.
I heard a Phlatlight color LED can be DD to 5A. I don’t know if there are alternatives that also fit inside a L2P P60 drop-in.

I have a PT54. You can DD it at about 13A, but it will suck your batteries empty and will get warm. :P

I'm pretty sure the color red would still be present, but maybe a little different.

sbt-16

or sst-90?
but i guess it’s not flood you are after…

nailbender might be able to help you

I have accidentally dedomed a RGB mce and the colors are still there just a bit different.
Some links to red LEDs would be nice.

I ordered once a red xpe from intoutdoor and was a bit sad that there is no xpg or xpe2 in red…

That’s the cheapest to Germany:

yes. I have succesfully dedomed a number of red XPE-2’s. I noticed about a 50% increase in throw. Not much if any color change noticed by my eye.

I have a P60 host from CNQ with a fasttech XPE- pill and an XPE-2(dome intact) on copper sinkpad directly soldered to P60 brass pill at 1.4A putting out 8500Cd.

The XPE-2 is your best bet in a P60 light.

I see. Thanks for the confirmation, and everyone else for the other options.
My most likely course of action is a dedomed red XP-E2 in a SolarForce M3 bezel with H-M-LL no-memory, since it has max lux and runtime.
I was also considering a 6A quad with 4x red Cree, and DD large single-die LED’s.

kevin:
did you do any bounce tests? is it true that lumens will drop more than a phosphor led due to lack of recycling?

I did not do any bounce tests.

You will have to forgive me but I am not exactly sure what you mean by “lumens drop due to lack of recycling”.

What I do know is the Vf of the red emitters is very low compared to that of the “white” emitters. So there is a lot of heat to shed. Good thermal design and construction is critical to maximum performance.

I build lights primarily for weapons mounted hunting situations. For the most part I am concerned with throw(Candela) and Beam profile, I havn’t paid much attention to out the front lumens.

School me.

Kevin

It’s the difference between colour leds and ‘white’ leds

From what I understand there is no secondary diffuse phosphor layer in R, G or B leds

‘Photon recycling’, or reflection/re-excitation of recycled light as used in waviens, in the diffuse phosphor of white leds is talked about a lot in regards to dedoming

I’m sure you’ve read DrJones’s explanation but it is referenced there also

[edit] I should say that ‘lack of recycling’ should mean ‘relative lack’, as all emitter surfaces are textured by design to promote recycling in the first place

I was interested in your result because of the good gain in throw regardless of this difference, and so curious about the change in total lumens as well. Perhaps there are also other factors at play from different material in the emitter, I do not know.
I haven’t seen much discussion on dedoming colour emitters (this thread is a case in point) so I’m sure many will try to follow your result…

Thank you. I have read dr jones’ material. I am also familiar with waviens technology. Funny you should mention it. I sent Wavien an red xpe p3 on a sinkpad with dome intact back in january. They built a prototype for me. They took my red xpe on sinkpad and mounted it to a massive copper heatsink with active cooling. They noticed a 50% increase in light output. They also said this was much better than any other red emitter they tested. Their prior testing had showed only 30-35% increase with non-cree emitters. I have been so busy I have not done anything with it. Just sits in the box on my workbench. Also they did not tell me what methods or equipment they used to measure the light output.

if you mean, they sent it back… in a box, and attached with the 50% increased output rig

then i think i speak for all when i say: beamshots :smiley:

i would guess cree does well with its textured phosphor surface, but this is all just scratch on it so far, really :slight_smile:

Like I said. It’s just sitting there on the workbench waiting to go onto a light. I have no immediate plans to use it. too busy with other projects