Dedome (yes or no) and driving current for red XP-E2 on noctigon!

Just received it yesterday, now I wonder what combination will give me best performances/throw:

It will be installed in convoy C8 SMO host. It is intended to be a hunting light so probably ony one mode (110% of course).
What would modding experts say on this one, how much current would you supply and would you dedome it or not?

Thanks

Be careful, I just dedomed one of my red XP-E2’s yesterday, I dedome lots of emitters and don’t usually have any issues but I broke one of the main bond wires on the red E2 (but thankfully was able to repair it) dedoming it the heat/physically lifting it. I wouldn’t try gas on the red emitters, it may mess with the red phosphorus layer (I’ve heard that but never tried doing a red one).

I’d say going into a C8 just leave the dome on and run it at ~2.2A. (I’m happy with the one in my red SK68 running at 1.9A but have another one at 2.6. I’d say that’s probably a little on the high side tho, 2.4 is probably about max if you want/need reliability).

2.5A current -> blue and green XP-E2, output tests
I would try it First with dome, I have a hold a spare c8 reflector over a spare xpe and it was very throwy but I have read here that some dedome xpes so just try it.

Where did you purchase the led?

I had such cases in my de doming carrier. How did you managed to repair main bond wire on XP-E2?

This is virtually impossible with my soldering iron and with 10x magnification.

I dedomed XP-E’s red and green before (also XP-G2 CW and XM-L/2, pics here ), with gasoline method. Green is excellent, throws very well I am happy but I expected more from red XP-E, to my eyes it looks like it puts out 10-15% less light, I must admit I was a bit disappointed with red one when I compared red and green C8. For both I used 1.4A driver…

from IO, who else offers XP-E2 on 16mm Noctigon star :slight_smile:

You can also get red ones on noctigons from MtnE here in the US. I bought all my color XP-E2’s bare from digikey for ~$2.44/ea.
Note the die of the red XP-E2 is larger than all the other XP-E2 die’s (color and white), like I mentioned it also has lines instead of dots leading me to believe its not got the same new generation technology as the other colors / white ones. It also has 9 lines in it instead of the XP-E’s 3, I believe it may be a gen 1 XP-G die turned red and stuck on/in a XP-E2 board and dome.

I was lucky and only broke the wire at the base board, not the die so I applied a very small amount of solder paste and heated it with my hot air gun, it quickly melted then clung to the wire but before I started I was able to use magnification and a tooth pick to move the wire back in place and close the gap, The solder paste wouldnt have bridged had I not been able to get the 2 broken ends lined up. I’ve been trying this method on about the last half dozen I broke, this is the first time I’ve been able to succeed at a repair.

I’ll be editing pic’s in momentarly you’ll see the zoomed in beam’s, they are in identical SK68’s, red is dedomed XP-E2, green is dedomed XP-E2 and blue is silicone layer of dome removed XT-E (they have a strange dome that doesnt fully come off, the inner part is some sort of acrylic)

Full power (1.7-1.9A)

Ramped down (so they are dimmer and match for the camera)

Red alone

And here is a green XP-E slight heat damage killed the bond wire edge of the die (but the bond wires are still intact), dome on. Also in an identical SK68

i run my dedomed xpe2 on copper on c10 @ 2.8amps
(i found it more dificult to dedome vs xpg and xml ,i use petrol)
is it worth it to go with white xp-e2 ,when you can do 4-5+amps with xp-g2?

Anyone seen the XP-E2 amber on boards? I see XP-E “yellow” at FT, I swapped some of those into SK68s (but the native driver seems to damage itself after a few weeks of use, they start flickering)

just took this two (red and greed) for another spin and found out that I was compering red XP-E WITH the dome and green XP-E without the dome… Well this emitters are so tiny it’s hard to see them :stuck_out_tongue:
P.S. Delivery from US to Europe is not exactly cheap so only source of XP-E2 (color or white) emitters for me is IO, ps. can you provide digi key part numbers for red and green XP-E2 that that you’ve ordered, thanks :wink:

This is nice, I like this one :slight_smile:

These are the emitters I’m using in several different lights

XPEBGR-L1-R250-00E01CT-ND (green)
XPEBRY-L1-R250-00P01CT-ND (blue)
XPEBRD-L1-0000-00801CT-ND (red)

Remember in my pictures above the blue emitter is an XT-E (hints the giant X in the center of the square beam projection), I do not have a blue XP-E2 running in an aspheric setup to take photos.

Can anyone post up a photo of a fully zoomed in gen 1 XP-G dedomed? How many lines are in it? The gen1 XP-E’s only have 3 wires (in RGB and W) so its not a gen1 XP-E die, I am pretty convinced its not a regular gen 2 XP-E die tho.

A red led is something quite different from a blue led or green led, it has always looked different from the rest. The number of lines is not related to some 'parent led' it comes from, the appearance comes from the red led technology I think.

The XP-G if I recall it well, has 5 lines.

FWIW, here is what a red XP-E2 looks like on a Noctigon:

I took this before putting it into a bike tail light.

For my purposes, I left the dome on and drive it at 700mA. I don’t need it very bright, and djozz’s tests indicated that 700mA gets more lumens per watt than 350/1050/1400mA. Hopefully it’ll let me get somewhat longer runtimes at PWM’d low/med levels.

I guess I am what is called a “tint snob”. I always though that “reds” were a bit too orange. Then I found this, 650-660nm “photo red’ it is only offered in the xp-e (no e2 equivalent) as far as I can tell.

It seems to have its own charts along with the near IR cell, I have a hunch it can be driven harder.

Any thoughts?

Product Index > Optoelectronics > LED Lighting - Color > XPEPHR-L1-0000-00901

All prices are in US dollars.
Digi-Key Part Number XPEPHR-L1-0000-00901CT-ND Price Break Unit Price Extended Price
1 3.43000 3.43

Quantity Available Digi-Key Stock: 872
Can ship immediately
Manufacturer Cree Inc

Manufacturer Part Number XPEPHR-L1-0000-00901
Description LED PHOTO RED 650NM 700MA