defending against lions, tigers and bears, oh my!

the best self defence flashlight is a muzzle flash

2 Thanks

Sounds like a great way to end up in prison.

I’ve beamed people who were getting a bit close to me before, but if I had shot them, I’d be the bad person there, not them…

Would I ever shoot someone, yes, but it’s something that is beyond an absolute last resort because it massively increases the danger to my own life, especially as a minority, so I’d have to be 200% certain that the alternative was me dying. Not “I don’t like the look of this person” or even “I am prepared to kill someone’s dog that I could easily defend myself against using non-lethal means instead” (e.g. pepper spray works on dogs as well as people)

1 Thank

Hello @zelek , welcome to BLF. Sorry, we could not present you the holy grail of predator deterrent, but there are lots of other subjects that might interest you.

We’d need a flashlight that also can function as a brick smaher and glass broker…

WTH is a “defense flashlight”? ? ?

10 years ago the Chunky Monkey defensive light was born. Review: TrustFire TR-J20 - 12 x XM-L (3 x 32650) Chunky Monkey!
A 13 5/16" 3.26 pound flashlight using 3-32650’s also called a mace in some circles.

It’s good to have you here, zelek!

In 2010, my neighbor’s pit bull got into our yard and mortally wounded my mom’s German Shepherd.
I kept the pit bull away from myself and my mom (and from further wounding her dog) with a throwy flashlight.
It took quite a while before the pit bull was removed from our yard, and during that time the pit bull was running around in circles in our front yard.
The pit bull kept on approaching me a little, but my flashlight kept the pit bull from getting too close to me.
So a flashlight can keep some dangerous animals away.

Now my 2010 flashlight is not very bright compared to flashlights of today.
My two favorite emitters are the SFT40 and the XHP70.3 HI.
Both of those emitters are very bright.
I would recommend a flashlight with a head diameter of 40mm-45mm, with one of those emitters, if you want something pocketable.
The larger the diameter of the head, the more the flashlight will throw, but also the less pocketable the flashlight will be.
If you want the most practical throwy emitter, go with the SFT40.
If you want something floody, but also with a bit of throw, go with the XHP70.3 HI. :+1:

2 Thanks

By the way, I carry pepper spray (and a pocketknife) in case I run into trouble.
I’ve never had to use either one in self-defense, and I really don’t want to, but I feel a bit safer because I can somewhat defend myself if I have to. :grin:

1 Thank

Welcome to BLF! This topic has been discussed quite extensively before, if the “built-in” search isn’t showing you much, try a Google search like:

Defence wild animals dogs bears site:budgetlightforum.com

This thread is one of the most recent ones.

Seeing domestic cats catch mice/birds, I’d imagine the tiger would catch you before you even knew it was there …

Tangental amusement: There was once a thread on the other flashlight forum about a dude who wanted to build a walking stick shaped device of batteries that would emit huge number of lumens for a short period of time (like a photo flash), in order to stun/scare off lions in Africa. I believe he was planing on stacking 24 CR123 cells or something similar.

Needless to say, the technical practicalities and questionable effectiveness was pointed out, I think the poster was determined to build one anyway, never saw build pics or heard from the guy again, my question was always whether the pipe bomb of batteries got him or the lions :grin:

Also to add: is there even anywhere on earth (other than a zoo) where you’d get lions, tigers and bears?

There is such a thing as bear mace.
That’ll stop some wild animals.
There’s also wasp spray, which is cheaper but might be more lethal.
And then, of course, there are firearms.
Be sure that whatever you plan to use in self-defense is legal where you are. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool story, lol. btw this thread is about wildlife.

1 Thank

Going around shooting wildlife isn’t a particularly great strategy either. A lot of it is protected - I will admit I don’t know the law in regards to killing a protected species in self-defence, which almost certainly varies from state to state anyway (the main dangerous wildlife around here is alligators, which are explicitly legal to kill in self-defence only, and black bears, where pepper spray or even a big stick is enough as a deterrent), and I’d certainly shoot a bear rather than it attack me or someone else (although it really depends on the type - I think if you shoot a grizzly bear with something like a .22 or 9mm, you’re probably more likely to piss if off than deter it…), but it’s not going to be my default response, I’d always try to deescalate and scare it/retreat first.

Or, my example about a dog - there is absolutely no way I’d have killed it there. It wasn’t a threat to the life of physical safety of either me, my dog, or another person, plus the owner was within sight and earshot, and not to mention that as a dog owner myself, I have more empathy than that (not to mention the fact that my dog was right there to the point there is no way I’d have used any ranged weapon due to collateral damage…).

Bears are friends and will appreciate a good torch!

2 Thanks

Do not feed a bear with a flashlight. Aluminum, and plastic do not digest well, and batteries are toxic. :laughing:

2 Thanks

Famous polish S/F writer Stanislaw Lem said once:
“I had no idea that there is so many idiots in the world until I started using internet”.
Mike

1 Thank

Every single person in the world is considered an idiot by someone. The best part is, none of them is wrong

Now that critter would have earned the muzzle flash treatment if it were in my yard and killed my dog. Even here, I believe it would be considered justified.

And, keep in mind that I love dogs. Some just don’t deserve to be left alive.

I would not have even bothered with a flashlight.

2 Thanks

I’m not a lawyer, but a retired Sheriff’s Deputy. As far as personal or that of a third party human, humans always comes first. Critter attacks you can defend yourself or others. Pepper spray works really well on all mammals, the better it’s nose the better it’s effect. It does not affect birds, reptiles or insects. Wasp spray is only a mildly irritant and listed as a poison right on the side of the can along with a don’t misuse warning. No agency issues wasp spray for self defense so probably a bad idea to use.

https://www.sabrered.com/blog/why-wasp-spray-self-defense-against-humans-wont-work-chemist-explains

If your ever attacked and trying to figure out if your life is more important than the attacker either human or animal. Worried you might get arrested for not letting the fauna eat you. I can answer this for you “Your life comes first and self defense is legal”. As far as the original post, could a flashlight be used for defense against dangerous animals? NO. On a force continuum we don’t use lesser force to defend against greater threats.