devices modified with li-ion and usb charger boards

harbor freight magnet light with prismatic cell and charger.half leds swapped with warm leds.
bbq light with 8 18650,usb board,and prototype k2 tffc.

Those blue HF work lights are my 2YO son’s favorite toys. What cell’s do you use in it?

Looks like some interesting projects

Nice!

Little TP4056 boards and some 14500’s sure do make pretty neat little powerhouses

Good job!

I modified one of my vaping ohm meters w/ one of those thin boards and a 14500, can recharge it, but your’s definitely are pretty cool!

I bought 10 of those boards with the intention of doing these type of projects but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. One of those boards sits loose on my desk as a constant reminder :wink:

yes tp4056 boards.
i will post the cell type when i get back.its from a dell pack.dremeled out the battery box and it just fits.cut off the corners of the board to clear the case so usb protrudes right.
looking for more of the bbq light.i have used it many years for field day,emergencies,ect with 3 d nimh and a dummy.now with 18ah vs 8 its lighter and better.

snakebite how do you control the discharge of the cells? How do you avoid overdischarging them?

vf of leds does a good job of controlling depth of discharge.
btw the cells are 103450a.
cheap to get by gutting some phone and camera packs found on ebay.
added pic of how it is done.
gotta cut out one end of battery holder and gut it.

nice work, those charger boards are really handy, I have them in bike lights, lanterns, work lights and head lights. They're so cheap now compared to what they used to cost - I remember paying $4 for one a few years back, now you can get 10 for $6-8!

next up is the new hf red triangle work/warning light.
and a little modding on an srk body to add one inside the body.usb charged srk!

Like this? 2014-11-19_10-37-51_492 | kc8adu kc8adu | Flickr

Is there a simple circuit available anywhere to add overcharge/ overdrain protection to this kind of arrangement?

(having seen video of those little flat-pack-foil-bag lithium-ion rechargeables puffing up and venting, I’m a little dubious about them.
And I’ve over the years recycled half a dozen of them (from old PDAs mostly) that had puffed up considerably as they aged out and quit working.
And seen a few Macs with their cases distorted by expanding batteries, as well)

Nice work! Now I can do something with a heap of CGR103450As I got from a Lenovo ultrabook pack

Very slick.

I suppose that you can achieve “protection” by wiring a normal protection PCB in line between the charger and the cell. IIRC at least one of the Chinese shops carries a wide selection. I thought it was FT, but I am unable to find them there right now.

The TP4056 charge boards are also sold with a protection setup integrated on the board. I can’t find those right now either, how strange! Maybe they have disappeared. Here is someone’s video on the subject of one of those combo boards though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4psECqpwI

Here you go charging board with protection.

do post the model.
btw there is a samsung pack with one cell often $2.99 on ebay drop the cgr and a

not needed as leds vf stops overdischarge.

I don’t think that’s always the case. Many items and at least some LEDs have a low enough Vf to overdischarge a Li-Ion, especially if the device is left turned on unattended.

part no. is 42T4690. Did a quick search on the fleabay and alot of the "new" OEM packs are $30+! Damn! I got mine at the flea market for $5. One dead cell landed me a great deal haha.

My post in the community pull thread for the pack

I want to cram a tp4056 board and a 5v boost module into a p60 size/shape drop in to use a 502b as a bups for travel.

I am making an external pack, (2x18350), for my digital camera, inside a pvc tube, that will mount like an external flash, on a flash bracket and I think I am going to add one of those boards to it, so I can charge with USB too.