Direct drive an MT-G2?

Where the hell is Scaru when you need him?

Isn't 'constant current buck driver' something like a '1963 Camaro'?

Awesome car, but what do you mean?

Exactly my point! 1963 actually existed, it's in all the history books. And everybody knows what a Camaro is. I guess it doesn't matter then that there was no such thing as a Camaro until 1967, huh?

I think Fasttech's description calling the LD-29 a buck driver is incorrect. Hence why it failed at driving a MTG2. IOS description says:

*Constant current circuit (2 cell only)

Constant current is not a buck driver, just like a boost driver is not a linear regulator.

Well this is the LD-29 behavior,

Input 8.4V - input current 1.22A - output current 2.79A

Input 7V - input current 1.44A - output current 2.78A

Input 6.6V - input current 1.5A - output current 2.78A

there’s lots and lots of info on various drivers we tried with mt-g2’s in this thread, all at 8.4v starting voltage.

Gords,

Thanks for that link… Not exactly a thread that I would’ve found (“DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host! 50% off!”) :)!

yeah, we slipped that one under the radar, the host is fricken awesome and assembly really not difficult, it would be worth seeing if there’s any left for your build. Along with matches mt-g2 minimag its probably what really kicked of the mt-g2 interest and group buy.

Gords,

I was going through that thread, and I’m confused. Isn’t that “LD-29” the same driver that was being talked (by HikeLite) about in this current thread, just above this post, where he said it didn’t work with the MT-G2?

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1612/10001997/1143100-1-2-lithium-2-group-35-mode-28a-led-flashlight-dri

and in post #14 of that Torch Light thread, you linked the same LD-29 driver?

there are at least two ld-29 designated drivers I’m aware of, the one I tried that works is now called an ld-v at lck-led, I didn’t try the fasttech driver as its meant for another project entirely.

The driver I settled on is the 5a one I suggested earlier in this thread.

Then the manufacturer has some retard naming if the behavior of the driver is totally different.

I have a Boost/Buck 3-18V & 9A 3-Mode 5.5-12V on the way, along with more MTG2s, and a bunch of other stuff I don't need... should I try to find out just how hard they can be driven? I know some here have killed them from physical damage, wonder how much it takes to make them turn blue when on copper? :evil:

I have used that first linked driver in my 3C build and love it. Gords is not a fan of it as it takes about half or less of a second to change modes. Personally I dont have a problem with that but some may. To me it just works without fuss unlike some other higher powered drivers I’ve used in the past. I’ve also got another to put in another 3C project that will have the MTG-2 in it when I can use my left hand again. By that time there will be another technology out there. Shrugs shoulders. That Nine amp looks interesting but I have not used it. I’m looking forward to your thoughts on it. Just do it. Pretty please. Edit. With suger on top.

Would 3D Maglite with 3x 32650s be OK?

Will 3 32650 fit in a 3D?
Edit. Yes they will straight from Wicki,
D batteries have:
Nominal diameter of 33.2 ± 1 millimeters (1.3 inches).
Overall length of 61.5 millimeters (2.42 inches). [4]

Go for it. Which particular batteries are you using?

Hi All,

BTW, getting back to the original topic :), I’m still planning at least to try direct driving the MT-G2, once all the parts that I need to do that get here. I’m fully prepared to fail, but also ready to succeed. By “succeed”, I mean being able to run the MT-G2 for some as-yet undetermined amount of time, at more than “moonlight” :), and, most of all, not to blow up the emitter. With all that has been said about potential drivers, if it works, this just seems like the simplest approach, and as I’ve said before, I like “simple” :)…

Later,
Jim

Straight up wide open direct drive, MTG2 with 2x EagleTac 750mAh protected 16340s, starts out a 3.60A but current falls pretty fast, and the protection doesn't trip and put an end to the fun. LED still on the Cutter star doesn't explode or even turn blue.

edit: current is down to 2.5A after about 30 seconds runtime.

Why don’t you try two LiFePO4 cells, should be perfect for direct drive?

I hooked up two LiFePo 14500 batteries in series directly to a MT-G2 emitter, the led draws 1.5A, the voltage sag prevents higher current. I have some A123 LIFePo 18650 cells coming in the mail. When they arrive I am trying those directly on the emitter on a copper Noctigon. I will let you know....

I’m ready … 8)

The cells should not sag much under 3.2V and easely deliver the 2.8 A for the MT-G2 (at 3.2Vf).