Ðirect questions on LEDs directly from manufacturers through me(ENDED)

I read that as: “no, but yes” :party:

Yeah, something seems off.

I wonder if some manufacturers are looking closely at this forum for some reason.

I mean, if I managed to get a job at a lighting manufacturer, then maybe someone else is here? :slight_smile:

Well, from our history just in the last few years, it should be obvious that manufacturers would be wise to pay close attention here. And we know at least some in China do watch us, even some of the larger brands. Other than that, it would be nice to find out if the lighting manufacturing world sees us as being generally important, or not.

I am pretty sure that this forum is checked out by some manufacturers from china. Can someone remember when i turned down the head of a china dremel clone to make it fit into a drillpress stand?
I turned it down to 25mm. I ended up with 25mm not because it was the most usefull size. But because i did not have more material. In the end i had to add a spacer to make it fit the standart 43mm clamp.
But when i posted the pictures i did not have the spacer here. So the few things i showed were a dremel with a wide 25mm neck (as i said 25mm makes absolut no sense because it fits nothing).
A few days back i ws surfing on BG and found this https://www.banggood.com/30000RPM-480W-Electric-Grinder-Drill-Engraver-Tool-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Carving-Polishing-Machine-110V220V-p-1457301.html?rmmds=mywishlist&ID=51334448035&cur_warehouse=CN.
And what do i have to see. A 25mm neck on this dremel clone. And no adapter ring in sight. But now i know where to get a dremel that fits my adapter in case my dremel burnes out.

Thanks for the feedback :smiley:

We have a member who’s an engineer / developer at one of the main 3 companies you’ve been speaking to. I won’t call him out but he is here and does post (personally, not on the companies behalf).

Thanks BlueSword, that was very useful and interesting to know! I can’t wait for the SST-40 95CRI! I’m imagining an MF01S or E07 with this emitter. Holy cow that would be awesome! I wish I saw this thread yesterday. I wish I saw this thread yesterday. I would like to know if Luminus can make the FA1, FA4, FD1, FD4 tint bins. The only reason why Mateminco and Lumintop is using the FA3 and FD2 tint bin is because those were the only non green tinted bins available. If the bins I posted were made, they would be much better. sigh

Also, I really doubt any large manufacturers would monitor this forum. The amount of business this forum generates is very very very small. Just look at some of the group buys here that only a handful of people participate in. I checked out the sold numbers for many flashlights on Aliexpress and most of them are under 100 with the most popular ones in the couple hundred range. Considering the low price of these flashlights, Apple makes way more just selling a few Iphones.

These flashlights are mainly aimed at flashlight enthusiast but unfortunately the flashlight enthusiast community is too small. In order for them to sell in large quantities and generate real money, they need to target corporate and government buyers. I think Olight is the only one with many government clients.

If we want BLF to have more influence and negotiating power with large manufacturers, we need to get more people interested in flashlights, which from my experience is not easy.

Thanks for the thread, BlueSword, that was an interesting read :beer:

Although flashlights are a very small part of the LED market, I wouldn’t be surprised if the manufacturers were keeping an eye on BLF. There are people here doing near-lab grade tests, there are lots of people experimenting with LEDs in arrangements that manufacturers might not even think of, and we get lots of real-life reports and beamshots of the results.

Basically: “we manufacturers haven’t got the time or can’t make a business case to spend money and lab time on this niche experiment, but we’re still interested in seeing what happens when you try it.” :slight_smile:

You never know: a BLF report of “this LED does really well even at this ludicrously out-of-spec level” might be the thing that points a manufacturer to trying it themselves and maybe working out a new production process that consistently turns out a better LED. Stranger things have happened…

Couldn’t be here in time, but thanks for your efforts.

I am glad, that there will be future CCT options for SST-20 95 CRI - I just hope, not only 5000K will be added to the lineup, but 4500K as well (I don’t dare to hope for 5700K, but that would be also sweet). Currently only Nichia has good 4500K offerings, and for some of my use cases, 4000K was definitely a bit too ‘warm’.

SST-40 95 CRI is also a deeply desired update - that could make both awesome throwers of flashlights like Astrolux MF02 and performance headlamps.

I would also like to add one thing about 5mm LEDs, since someone asked about them.

Some high performance very high CRI 5mm LEDs actually use the same dies as found in many 3030/5630 sized LEDs, which makes them quite expensive.

One of multiple reasons that Yuji 5mm LEDs are expensive for 5mm LEDs.