Disassemble tool for bezel

Hi everyone,

I have some LEDs that I need to change (in fact all of them). Buy my problem is that the grey beel you see on my pictures does not come off without a tool.

Does anyone know where to locate a tool like this?

The outer bezel is 68mm and the inner circle where the grip locks are is 63mm

I am not sure that I need to open the back end to disassemble the flashlight. Does anybody know?

Just another picture.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Jens
Denmark :slight_smile:

Did you try a mouse pad (the side laying on desk/table)?

I ordered some rubber strap wrenches rge other day for about $7 on AliExpress
But the mousepad works for me now.

@The Miller

That is a really nice trick with the mousepad, but it did not work. It is really tight the bezel.

I will look into rubber wrenches. Thanks for that tip. There is only about 3mm to hold on to, using a wrench. Not much :frowning:

Cheers

Jens :slight_smile:

Oh and missed it, welcome to BLF!

Place the pad upside down on sturdy little rough surface that is flat (maybe you have a concrete floor or terras)
Put the light head down on it and push on it while trying to rotate it off.
Maybe hold the head with rubber gloves for extra grip.

X2 on the rubber gloves. I actually find rubber gloves more useful than a mousepad, although i haven’t had to remove anything too large to grip in my hand.

I made one with acrylic (that I had spare) and screws. This was made to open a Niwalker mm15mb.
You can use any material, just make sure the holes align to the flashlight groves. The screws i used where exactly the right diameter to the groves.
Hope this helps

Ill send a photo.

A watch case opener wrench should work. In the US you can get one at Harbor Freight.

As others have said use rubber gloves, on one I still couldn’t undo, I dipped the end just past the bezel in boiling water for a minute or so, came of as easy as anything

There’s another recent thread here with pointers to a bunch of different “watch case openers” and other dedicated tools for this kind of notched bezel.
Search isn’t working for me right now.

How to unscrew this lens holder.

I use the rubber from a cut up bicycle tube on both the flashlight and bezel for grip. Rubber gloves here are not up to the task.

Thanks for all the tips and for the link to the thread that I also could not find.

I have ordered a wrench tool and in a minute or so, I’ll order some JB Weld Water Weld to go with saran wrap. Hopefully the one or the other will work.

I do however have a concern. Because this is a diving flashlight I suspect that the bezel is glued on. So this my stop my project if I am right.

I’ll keep you posted. Stay tuned in 15-30 days or so (ordered from china).

EDIT: Ordered the glue from the UK instead, so should be able to test in a week or so :slight_smile:

@ Bruno

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I might also try this out. Your flashlight also looks like to have a big diameter like mine does.

@ Bruno28 Great Tool!!

Also look for "Adjustable Face Spanner Wrench" or "Adjustable Pin Spanner Wrench" in a google search like this:

There are a bunch of those and a spanner wrench would be about the right word. Of course the manufacturers have specialized ones, but the ones you can find should work for most bezels that have the half round slots in them.

i doubt the bezel will be ‘glued’ on, it may however have threadlock to stop it unscrewing easily.

heat is usually the best method for breaking down the threadlock, the think the ‘boil in the bag’ method is the most popular.

a piece of flat AL plate put across two slots should give you more then enough leverage on the bezel, the trick is then to hold the body without scaring it.