Discussion of compact size production throwers 700m+ under $60

That is an awesome mod, thanks for posting that KawiBoy Would you happen to know if the plunger style switch from an L6 would fit as I have a spare one of those?

The switch pocket measures 11.4mm in diameter in my UT02 and from memory the L6 switch pcb measures 12mm and has the anti rotate knob that’s in the UT02 pocket, I think, so you should be able to remove .600mm off the diameter to fit, dunno never tried it, it’s worht the shot, never had a spare L6 switch to try out. I like the notion, I think the L6 plunger is a little taller (box type plunger) then the normal stamped metal cover momentary switch type plunger.

Regardless you would need to purchase/rob/mod the right size switch boot, because of going from the diaphragm type low profile switch of the UT02 :confounded: to a (slightly taller) plunger type switch, savvy?

Let the adventure begin! :smiley:

Actually, this kind of setup is precisely meant for “tactical” use.

You’re probably thinking of clicking it on then flicking through the modes with the side-switch.

What you’re supposed to do is select the mode you want (eg, “turbo”), turn it off, then use momentary-on to flash’n’dash, else click it full-on then off. “Set it and forget it.”

Zero chance of accidentally changing modes with a scratchy tailswitch or not delaying enough between on/off/on cycles.

In practice, the side-switch would only be used to change modes, and be used much more infrequently than the tailswitch, especially if a forward-clicky (momentary-on).

My statement was referring to a side switch ONLY light, not a dual switch like the Nitecore:

“I agree a side switch is harder to find in the dark, so those are out for a ”tactical” (bump in the night) critical situation/emergency light”

However…
I guess it might work for some people, but “what you’re supposed to do” just doesn’t work for me for a “tactical” light. (bump in the night / SHTF light)

To me “Set it and forget it” is not tactical because I’ll “Forget to set it” :person_facepalming:

I have quite a few dual switch lights with mode memory, and of course I can “set” them to turn on at high with the tail switch via last mode used, but to me those aren’t tactical. IMO a tactical light should start at a very bright level regardless of what mode you used last. (meaning NO memory on tail switch)

There have been a few dual switch lights with forward tail clicky that work this way, I have two: UltraFire C20 and SmallSun ZY-T13 (both long discontinued)
Unfortunately most dual switch “Tactical” lights today have mode memory on the tail switch, (like the P30) so IMO those aren’t really tactical.

A good example of a well thought out truly tactical UI are the ones used in the Klarus XT11GT or Acebeam L16 / L30.

The Acebeam L-series UI creates two flashlights in one: a single-mode forward tail switch light with no memory and disabled side switch, and a full-featured side switch light with shortcuts and memory. The Klarus has a user selectable “Advanced Tactical Setting” with instant Turbo or Strobe at the tail and disabled side switch.

I could go on and on about this, but to avoid further derailment I’ll stop here! :slight_smile:

Aha. Thought youse were still talking about the P30.

I’m now considering a new entrant to this category (although a lower mfg. rating for throw range)

The Manker U22

It’s in the size class of the DS1, slightly longer, but uses 21700
Its appearance and shape is a scaled-down version of the UT02

Features:

• Emitter: CREE XHP35 HI LED (NW option avail.)
  • Maximum output: 1500 lumens
  • With Type-C USB Charging function
  • Power by 1x 21700 battery
  • Maximum beam intensity: 65000cd
  • Maximum beam distance: 509meters
  • Dimensions: 140mm (length) x 51mm (head)

Can’t say I love the UI, but all things considered I could probably live with it.

TBH I think the 21700 tube size will be nicer than the 26650, I’ve always felt the 32-33mm tubes were too thick, but live with it for the capacity of 26650. This certainly has a more balanced looking shape than the D1S, it’s a great looking light, a thin SS bezel would have been icing on the cake. I don’t have any Manker lights but I’ve read a few claims that they’re well built and reliable.

Cost of the U22 is $56 (including a battery) which puts it at about $46 in comparison to the others that don’t include a battery (considering that a good 21700 is around $10) It seems to check all my boxes except the “rated” throw range, although the rated max lumem output is slightly higher than the UT02. All things considered I’m wondering now if this will have enough range to satisfy my needs.

U22 is really close to my dream light, except for that pesky throw.
I’m waiting for reviews, hope they clear things up. I suggest that you do the same.

Size comparison between the Manker U22 and U21 (U21 is same size as Utorch UT02)

(photo from skylumen.com)

Note that U21 is a bit closer to the camera, so size difference will be a little smaller.
Quick pixel counting shows the head diameter of U22 being 49 mm, not 51.

I think it’s centered with the U22 making the U21 slightly closer yes, I think it’s a pretty good comparison photo, but I agree how that can make a considerable visual difference in a photo.

Hmmm, shows 51mm in the manufacture specs. You’re suggesting their listed dimensions are incorrect? I suppose it’s a possibility but less likely for them.
(I assume you’re taking in to account the unequal distance you noted above)

The thing I really liked about the D1S is it’s smaller than the other 3 in my list, but the tube looked too thin and short compared to its head, creating an “unbalanced” look to it. Now this U22 comes in at roughly the same size, slightly longer yet still shorter than the others, and has a much more balanced look to it, I liked the shape of the UT02 best, so for me U22 is very appealing.

I agree! And good point to wait. Yes, hopefully we will see some reviews soon.

No, I don’t correct for uneven distance but quantify what effect does the unevenness have. Since on the comparison image U22 looks like 49 mm, but we know it has 51 - it must be about 4% larger in reality than the picture shows. Not much.

It’s nearly the same light.
There are some differences in switch. There are differences in output (though that changes batch-to-batch too). There may be others I don’t know about.

beam0: Thanks for starting this throw thread. Stumbled across this from you linking to this from the Emisar D1/D1S thread. I already bought the Emisar D1S last night, but I can always add a third thrower in the future. Sounds like the UT02 is a good one to get

On another note, I have been struggling to work what the measured throw distance is on the Convoy C8 Clear. Does anyone know?

Good to hear my thread is helpful!

You know these really are all good compact (to medium size) throwers, it depends on what your needs are, some are larger than others, have side switch, XHP35 HI for higher output, etc. etc.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Manker U22 (not on the list, see post #83 above) Throw specs are less than the ones in the OP but it’s slightly smaller (except for the D1s) I also like that it uses 21700 and has a side switch, XHP35 HI LED 1500lm max, in throw distance it should be on par with (if not slightly out throw) a FET driven C8.

A Convoy C8 XP-L HI won’t throw nearly as much as any of the lights in my list in the OP, a C8’s reflector is too small in comparison.

Here’s a thread on C8 XP-L HI throw, it’s not specific for the clear version but any stock Convoy C8 with XP-L HI should throw same as the clear since they’re all the same driver. The clear has the Biscotti firmware but the driver power is the same as the regular color Convoy C8’s… x/7135

With a FET/ DD driver mod the Convoy will throw a lot farther than a stock 8×7135, but I still think it would be < 5000m.

The Sofirn C8T is rated for 500m, because it’s FET driven (stock) it will out throw a stock Convoy

The Clear Convoy is real pretty, but if your’re looking for the best throw from a stock C8 (and you’re not going to mod with a FET driver) then get the Sofirn C8T

Also have you seen the new redesigned Convoy C8 (Desert Tan)? (also has Biscotti firmware)

Catapult V6 does 750m in turbo mode. But how many meters after the first stepdown?

I have been debating if I should get the Astrolux C8 (FET driven using BLF A6 driver/firmware etc) or the Sofirn C8T. At this stage, I am leaning towards the Astrolux C8 mainly because it is based on one of the forum’s favorite BLF A6, which I am ashamed to say I did not even own. That said, I did in fact order the clear BLF A6 late last year but it was lost in transit, and BG ended up refunding me for it.

The new Desert Tan Convoy C8+ is a bit too expensive at the moment, at roughly US$25 delivered. Plus there isn’t any review or specs listed for it. I paid $15 for my Clear Convoy C8+ when GB was still giving us good discount coupons 4-5 months ago! I don’t really want to end up with a 2nd C8 if it is not noticeably better than the Clear C8, even though I do like the look of the Desert Tan color.

I made another UT02 modification, now it’s almost 6A on the tail. I got 1742 lumens thanks to it. I wonder if it looks like a comparison to Thrunite V6.
I will probably buy the V6 anyway … sooner or later depending on what thrunite will do with its sale to Europe and then I will compare to my UT02.

My V6 has just landed in the London distribution center so hopefully the next 2 days should have my hands in this bad boy will be interesting how it stacks up against my UT02

Thanks for the comparison feedback!

U22 may be a bit brighter than UT02 but I’m sure the V6 will kill it in performance, however I see the U22 as being an upgrade from C8 throwers.

Yes the NW option only became available very recently, (my posts are nearly 2 months old) but thanks for pointing it out, I went back and edited the old posts to avoid confusion.

I like the V6 just for the UI alone, (same as TC20) it’s my favorite UI. I like the look of the diamond knurling but TBH I think I’d rather it matched the knurling of the TC20, which is excellent and probably better grip.

There is a way. You need to buy a second TC20 and replace the tube :smiley: