Discussion of compact size production throwers 700m+ under $60

Note that U21 is a bit closer to the camera, so size difference will be a little smaller.
Quick pixel counting shows the head diameter of U22 being 49 mm, not 51.

I think it’s centered with the U22 making the U21 slightly closer yes, I think it’s a pretty good comparison photo, but I agree how that can make a considerable visual difference in a photo.

Hmmm, shows 51mm in the manufacture specs. You’re suggesting their listed dimensions are incorrect? I suppose it’s a possibility but less likely for them.
(I assume you’re taking in to account the unequal distance you noted above)

The thing I really liked about the D1S is it’s smaller than the other 3 in my list, but the tube looked too thin and short compared to its head, creating an “unbalanced” look to it. Now this U22 comes in at roughly the same size, slightly longer yet still shorter than the others, and has a much more balanced look to it, I liked the shape of the UT02 best, so for me U22 is very appealing.

I agree! And good point to wait. Yes, hopefully we will see some reviews soon.

No, I don’t correct for uneven distance but quantify what effect does the unevenness have. Since on the comparison image U22 looks like 49 mm, but we know it has 51 - it must be about 4% larger in reality than the picture shows. Not much.

It’s nearly the same light.
There are some differences in switch. There are differences in output (though that changes batch-to-batch too). There may be others I don’t know about.

beam0: Thanks for starting this throw thread. Stumbled across this from you linking to this from the Emisar D1/D1S thread. I already bought the Emisar D1S last night, but I can always add a third thrower in the future. Sounds like the UT02 is a good one to get

On another note, I have been struggling to work what the measured throw distance is on the Convoy C8 Clear. Does anyone know?

Good to hear my thread is helpful!

You know these really are all good compact (to medium size) throwers, it depends on what your needs are, some are larger than others, have side switch, XHP35 HI for higher output, etc. etc.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Manker U22 (not on the list, see post #83 above) Throw specs are less than the ones in the OP but it’s slightly smaller (except for the D1s) I also like that it uses 21700 and has a side switch, XHP35 HI LED 1500lm max, in throw distance it should be on par with (if not slightly out throw) a FET driven C8.

A Convoy C8 XP-L HI won’t throw nearly as much as any of the lights in my list in the OP, a C8’s reflector is too small in comparison.

Here’s a thread on C8 XP-L HI throw, it’s not specific for the clear version but any stock Convoy C8 with XP-L HI should throw same as the clear since they’re all the same driver. The clear has the Biscotti firmware but the driver power is the same as the regular color Convoy C8’s… x/7135

With a FET/ DD driver mod the Convoy will throw a lot farther than a stock 8×7135, but I still think it would be < 5000m.

The Sofirn C8T is rated for 500m, because it’s FET driven (stock) it will out throw a stock Convoy

The Clear Convoy is real pretty, but if your’re looking for the best throw from a stock C8 (and you’re not going to mod with a FET driver) then get the Sofirn C8T

Also have you seen the new redesigned Convoy C8 (Desert Tan)? (also has Biscotti firmware)

Catapult V6 does 750m in turbo mode. But how many meters after the first stepdown?

I have been debating if I should get the Astrolux C8 (FET driven using BLF A6 driver/firmware etc) or the Sofirn C8T. At this stage, I am leaning towards the Astrolux C8 mainly because it is based on one of the forum’s favorite BLF A6, which I am ashamed to say I did not even own. That said, I did in fact order the clear BLF A6 late last year but it was lost in transit, and BG ended up refunding me for it.

The new Desert Tan Convoy C8+ is a bit too expensive at the moment, at roughly US$25 delivered. Plus there isn’t any review or specs listed for it. I paid $15 for my Clear Convoy C8+ when GB was still giving us good discount coupons 4-5 months ago! I don’t really want to end up with a 2nd C8 if it is not noticeably better than the Clear C8, even though I do like the look of the Desert Tan color.

I made another UT02 modification, now it’s almost 6A on the tail. I got 1742 lumens thanks to it. I wonder if it looks like a comparison to Thrunite V6.
I will probably buy the V6 anyway … sooner or later depending on what thrunite will do with its sale to Europe and then I will compare to my UT02.

My V6 has just landed in the London distribution center so hopefully the next 2 days should have my hands in this bad boy will be interesting how it stacks up against my UT02

Thanks for the comparison feedback!

U22 may be a bit brighter than UT02 but I’m sure the V6 will kill it in performance, however I see the U22 as being an upgrade from C8 throwers.

Yes the NW option only became available very recently, (my posts are nearly 2 months old) but thanks for pointing it out, I went back and edited the old posts to avoid confusion.

I like the V6 just for the UI alone, (same as TC20) it’s my favorite UI. I like the look of the diamond knurling but TBH I think I’d rather it matched the knurling of the TC20, which is excellent and probably better grip.

There is a way. You need to buy a second TC20 and replace the tube :smiley:

Wow, you must have read my mind just now, right after posting I was just thinking if it would fit !

And this has been confirmed??

If so i wonder if TN would sell an extra TC20 tube.

I read on the German forum that someone confirmed. It has both lamps and are interchangeable.

Thanks komeko!

Thanks, for emailing about it. Looking forward to see the answer.

I asked member Newlumen in the V6 thread to try it and see if it also would make the light shorter, since he has both, he confirmed it fits but doesn’t make it shorter:

The first version of U21 drain 5,5A at turbo vs catapult V6

Thanks klrman, I was thinking it might be a longshot, but ya never know.

Yeah It may be the same for me, I’ll probably like it too once I get one in my hands. I just really like Thrunite’s knurling on the TC20.

Thanks klrman for trying. At least it lego’s. It would have been nice for a matching pair, but probably won’t need to use both light at the same time.