[Discussion] VEZERLEZER Tail Clicky Flashlight User Interface Discussion

Accidental turn on depends on host construction not the button and with E-switch you can lock with soft. “Parasitic”(IC standby) drain is so low that will take years to deplete battery, same as self batt discharge.

People who actually need to use strobe like single click access to strobe, not fumbling through a user interface to find the hidden strobe as per most flashlight UIs at the moment.

Vezerlezer appears to be suggesting the use of different mode groups in the UI. Perhaps one group could be basic EDC style with a few different brightness levels and no blinkies. Then another group could be just Turbo and Strobe where they are memorized, then light painters could use that second mode group with strobe memorized.

- Tolerances are sometimes off. Glass may rattle. Switch cover may be overly squishy.

- Sometimes there’s high parasitic drain.

- User interface takes a bit of getting used to and is buggy. Both my HI and LE randomly get “stuck” on and the button becomes unresponsive.

• A few customers allegedly received low CRI emitters in their SC64c LE when they should’ve been high CRI.

That said, I love how small the LE is and moonlight mode. The efficiency is nice.

This seems to be what they plan, a user interface that keeps everyone happy.

We hope so.

It’s hard if not impossible to design a UI that can please everyone. Ask 10 people for opinions on a UI and you’ll get 23 answers.

If you want to design a “tactical” or “duty” light, design the light with a UI geared towards that.

If you want an “EDC” light, design a UI geared towards that.

Nb: “UI” means both the software (“how many clicks”) and the hardware (side- and tailswitches).

A good compromise is the Sofirn C8F, which has both side-/tailswitch. The tailswitch is simple for hard on/off (plus momentary), and the sideswitch is only for mode-changes.

If you include a “standby” mode, you can have the tailswitch on but the light off, and be able to press’n’hold for moonlight, 2click for turbo, etc.

Lezer, I’ve been searching for a tactical light for a good while. I’ll tell you the closest thing I found to suit my needs and what’s its missing:

Fenix PD36 TAC, nice tactile switch, well spaced modes for its purpose, very wide close range beam and easily accessible switch and rotary selector. What I don’t like is the strobe which nobody ever uses for anything meaningful and the very low sustained output, it drops to less than 800 lumens rendering the 3,000 and 2,000 turbo modes meaningless in a real life use.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO LET THE FLASHLIGHT GET HOT. this is a tactical flashlight supposed to be used in a life threatening scenario, I’d much rather get my hands uncomfortably warm than losing light in a critical situation.

Whatever your UI is going to be, either integrate PID temp regulation or set a higher treshold for the output drop.

+1

People will ask for 0.05lm ultra moon and candle mode in a tactical flashlight…

Lightbringer will34, thank you for the input, agree “it is hard if not impossible to design a UI that can please everyone’’, but hope to consult from you experienced BLF members to get more inspiration, so that light will not turn out to be bad.