DIY Titanium Light Built from Scratch - WIP (Complete)

While I am excited about making/modding some lights, I bought a small rod of surplus aero-space titanium a while ago (1.1” x 6”) to make a tiny flashlight host for pocket carry, I ended up using the entire rod to make a 18650 host, which goes according to my calculations exactly 2-3mm larger than what is needed, so over the weekend I did manage to get the first portion of the titanium body finished.

It was a good weekend for me :smiley: now the body is half done and threaded for titanium bezel and driver pill, I am waiting on new parts to make a 20mm custom drop-in and design the exterior work so I can take it towards final steps.

Next Steps:

- Pill machined from copper.

- Installing the custom drop-in module.

- TailSwitch Parts

• Milling (exterior)

Thanks for looking :beer:

Your work is stunning, as always. :slight_smile:

Nice slim look!

Finally got arround to making the rest of the light. Sorry about the delay in photos I had this light made last month and been enjoying it since.

It is now working on a XML2 led, 3/5 mode driver (set at 2.8amps-3modes 5% 40% 100) The duty cycle at 100 is just 5-7 minutes, Although it has copper core/pill the Ti-body insulates most of the heat.

I also did a led murder test on it, left it on for about 25 minutes at Max, and it survived and with flying colors. I have to upgrade the switch I guess but it is working just fine uptill now.

On to the pics.

Got the reflector and GITD O-Rings from Simon (shenzen greatwall @aliexpress)

Custom Driver Pill for 16mm led

Looking good, Assembling all the bits togather.

Firing it for the first time, Disregard the smoke due to cigarettes.

Not sure If I am doing it right but here it is anyways.

Some random beauty shots.

These two are custom copper laser hosts.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice work! Beautiful light. Thanks for sharing.

(these kind of nice builds make me want workshop/lathe/lots of spare time *sigh*)

Pron! Titanium style :-)

Great work there, Keep sharing, I love reading these kind of threads. Thank you.

No nonsense here, great outcome !

Great work! For sale???

This is obviously close to perfect.
Wish I had the means / skills / opportunity to do such.
Bit jealous… :wink:

But I have to say, that cheap aluminum LED base is hopefully temporary…

keyboard….

That is some sweet looking work. Any more ‘beauty’ shots?

Whoah…awesome!

Thank you guys.

@djozz: trust me its worth the sweat, I am always waiting for the weekend to finally get free time.

ledsmoke nikanon musicmagic WH-AVG : Thanks so much fellas.

@Ricflair: Not looking to sell this one, as it may need a bit more refinement.

@Jerommel: I did change the led to warm white (3000-3200K) but its on Aluminium base, still works for me really, Not looking to overdrive it or anything it is mostly on 40% medium power most of the time.
I have the Copper base and a bare emitter I might aswell try it out now that its laying arround for some time now. Thank you for the kind suggestion.

@Gurthang: I’ll post more pics.

:beer:

Excellent work!

There's nothing wrong with aluminum stars. Got to be a few hundred million or more out there being used in everything from street lights, to office lighting, to flashlights.

Love your light and the 2 lasers. Beautiful and classy.

Would sure like to have the chance to buy one just like it... if you get the urge to build another please let me know what that will cost. The simplicity of it is elegant and it is very appealing to me!

(Yes, I'm a Ti Fanatic)

While that one looks superb, a smaller version utilizing an 14500 and XP-G2 might be ultra sweet as well. Even a full copper version would appeal.

Please tell me that you're considering making at least one more for sale! Please! :)

I’m with DBCstm on this one. A copper 14500 size with a clip or holes for a clip. Make them as empty hosts. Heck one make out of aluminum would be pretty slick, with the guts out of copper. Sorry, hard to type with all of my drooling. Really nice work.

Dale, fan your flames with this other post from Sinner.

This is some beautiful work, the detail in the switch alone is just extraordinary! Whether in Ti or Copper, I love em!