DIY Wood + copper LED flashlight

No problem! Never be afraid to ask questions here :)

Heatsink should be OK then. Yes that driver will limit the juice. You don’t need two cells for driving it at 2.8A. Your emitter needs at least 3.3V (at 85°C chip temperature - info from datasheet) on battery at 2.8A.

Fully charged Li-Po is has 4.2V(you can imagine it as a pressure), half recharged 3.7V and 3.3V when discharged to ~25%.

If there is no driver, the emitter is connected directly to 4.2V. If you had huge heatsink, the emitter would draw over 5A at this voltage but this will not happen. Or maybe will, but properties of the emitter will change rapidly with rising temperature, it will loose its effectiveness(the current draw will be high but it won’t be brighter) and hurt the battery because you have 4.2 volts in the circuit and the only current limiting part other than LED will be the internal resistance of the cell and contact resistance of the switch. This heats up and hurts the cell for sure.

In other words at the beginning you need to drop around 0.9V(imagine it as a pressure) somewhere in the circuit (ideally the driver). Thats about 2,5W of power to loose at 2,8A(flow of the juice). In your case you will dissipate some part of this power on the switch and the rest inside of the cell (internal resistance) as a heat.

So with the driver installed, you will limit the current flowing through the led but it will be stable for discharging down to ~25% of the battery capacity, it will save the cell life, LED life and runtime. In the end it may be as bright as now because the led should not be overheated with this setup.

Awesome! Love the form… it must feel really nice in the hand.

I hope we’ll see you in next years DIY competition.

WELCOME! That's a nice piece of work!! Creative and well executed.

Dan.

Ummm... well, if anyone would know it would be our O.L. You did good! Got a compliment here from the master of hand builds.

Dan.

Very nice! Beautiful finish on the wood.

NICE, a really unique light.
I like the switch at most.

First I thought the wood looks boring but after the oiling…boom…insanely structure and very beautiful.