Do I need a Smart Charger (or is my eneloop charger okay) - Only use is AA and AAA

Just after I became a flashaholic, I bought my first AA NiMh flashlight. This is when I started testing and using AA NiMh and chargers. After researching chargers, I decided on a Maha C9000. I couldn't really afford this charger but my friend wanted it and as I do most of the charging for him because I have the time to do so, we split the cost and bought the C9000. I also ordered the car adapter which is important to me in all my chargers. I have loved this charger from day one. It is the best in my opinion. Upon finding just how well AA NiMh batteries work in good Led flashlights, I did a lot of testing on different batteries and lights. I bought the Fenix TK41 which takes 8 AA batteries. Wanting a charger that would charge 8 batteries at once, I ordered this charger. It cost me $27 plus shipping. It has some of the features of the C9000 but it is doesn't let me charge the batteries faster if I really need them charged fast. The nice thing about this charger is that I can pop 8 batteries in and forget it until they are done and all 8 are ready for my TK41. It takes about 4 hours or so to completely charge 8 eneloops.

It's a nice charger and works great but I still prefer the C9000 because I can control what I'm doing more. I can put 4 batteries in and charge them in one hour if needed but mostly I keep the charge set at about 1000ma which takes about 2 hours to fully charge 4 eneloops.

Is the C9000 worth the extra cost? That depends on your wants and needs. For most people, it's not but for us Flashaholics, the C9000 really adds to the enjoyment of this hobby we all have.

All products are made to maximize profits. You need a better reason than that to pick one charger over another.

THANKS to all for the great replies...! Lots of really great info, I didnt know all that.

Right now I think the C9000 is too expensive for me to buy on a whim...looking at the page it seems complicated vs my Sanyo charger. But I can see how charging and batteries can really be a hobby in themselves that compliment flashlights.

Would a battery tester be good and cheaper to get - so I can put my battery in and it tells me if its working normally, charged fully, or and how much charge is left? Or is this the entire purpose of a C9000? I have a digital multimeter at home, would that work?

Thanks again.

Maybe you shouldn't comment on a single sentence totally out of context?

The chargers are SLOW just to maximize profits, not because "They are especially made for Eneloops", "They have the ideal charge rate" and so on.

es - you can use your multimeter to test the battery voltage after charge. kreisler mentiond the AA eneloops should be around 1.45-1.52v

I don't think a battery tester is going to do you much good (they aren't that accurate in telling you how much capacity is left; the only good way to do that is to drain the battery) and a multimeter is a better investment.

The Eneloop charger is okay. It is a smart charger, but I don't like chargers that charge in pairs like that. What happens if one battery is already charged and the other one is almost empty? Or if one battery is just bad (which will happen eventually)? There are inexpensive chargers that charge each battery individually. There is nothing magic about "Eneloop" written on a charger. The magic is in their batteries. Their chargers are nothing special. Any NiMH charger will work with Eneloops. And the Eneloop charger will work with anyone's NiMH batteries.

I have a C9000 and it is great because it gives you a lot of control over charging and lets you analyze the capacity of a battery by actually draining it. But it isn't necessary. I also have the Sony charger below which I was able to get for less than $10 and it works great.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/1390

http://flashlight-wiki.com/Chargers

I have two of the Sanyo chargers that come with the Eneloops at Costco. They both charge my AA batteries to 1.41V exactly (at least that is what they test at 48 hours after removal from charger), whether I pull them right when the lights stop flashing, or leave them in all night. Why would you buy a $70 charger to do the same thing?

My thoughts are that these have to work, and work perfectly, for the general public that uses Eneloops in their wireless keyboards, TV remote controls, etc. These people aren't hobbyists, they are not flashaholics, they are just average people. If it was publicly known that a Sanyo charger caused housefires, battery explosions, etc, the bad press would cause the end to the sale of Ni-mh batteries.

That's why I use them. They are safe, and they work just fine. If I had $70 to blow on a charger, I'd spend it on another really nice torch instead.

Personally, I would not charge my cells in a series charger. I really do not like them.

It's too much hassle pairing and ensuring both cells are of an equal charge state.

Every time I see one of these it makes me smile. I had one of these around 20 years ago when I had NiCads as a child.

The design and markings on the gauge haven't changed at all. It's like looking back in time for me, I find it quite funny. :D

Just now I test two AA eneloops charged yesterday in my Sanyo charger, each one is 1.41V...

I bought a DMM about 5 years ago and never used it until today...LOL. Its pretty handy to be able to test batteries like this.

This is a good link too...the guy said some people store eneloops in the freezer...

Geez, they hold a 75% charge for 3 years at room temperature, what more do you want?

The problem with putting batteries in a refrigerator or freezer is taking them out they will get condensation on them. Then if you put them in a flashlight, now you have moisture in a closed space with electronics. Better not to worry about it.

Right on Troop. These really are amazing batteries. You can feel the quality and see it in action. First, all 12 batteries were 1.31 or 1.32 before charging. So far I have topped off the 8 AA, all came off the charger at 1.47. Within 8 hours, first set sagged to 1.42. I'll check the other 4 AA in the morning. The 4 AAA just went in the charger. I only have use for 2 AA at a time (until my new AA comes in) right now, so I'll check voltage every week or so to see how they do. So far looks like a great buy.

Edit: Second set of 4 AAs sagged to 1.43 overnight. 4 AAAs off the charger at 1.49v.

Which charger should and why?

Keep it simple.

I want a charger that's good for the batteries rather than speed.

I can get the following chargers

MQN09

MQN04

MQR06

Certainly the last one on the list.

I think there are lots of good cheap independant chargers . I have about 5 of them and haven't spent more than 12~15$ and would rather have multiples and chargers that will also work of 12volts too

I wanted to just say that my eneloops Never ! come off the charger that high and i have lots of batteries and multiple chargers ..After a couple days rest after charging they are somewhere between 1.38 ~1.4.since it isn't a dangerous chemistry I quit worrrying about voltages and like Brted said ..they have 75% of their charge a year later ..So why stress about them the minute they come off the charger .... relax thay are cheap ...enjoy them :)

Judging from the picture, the charger is an MQN04 which charges in pairs. Get the eneloop MQR06 charger. It's smart, simple and charges individual cells. :)

Welcome to my favorite flashlight site, mertinator.

Thanks for the welcome! I personally have both the MQN04 and the MQR06 chargers. The MQR06 does charge independent cells and does it quicker than the MQN04 however, it would not charge my 2700 nimh Targus AA cells. The MQN04 with its pair by pair charging can charge the Targus batteries. Strange.

Yes, welcome to BLF mertinator, and thanks for the useful post. This whole thread came a bit late for me, however, as I recently ordered this one:
http://www.hkequipment.net/index.php?sp=&p=6&cat2=148&cat1=59&cat0=2&id=1114&cat1=59&cat0=2&new=&more=&s=36468909e82962077b830ec5ffaf1734&lang=en
I ordered it specifically to use with eneloops (with li-ion capability as back-up to my Xtar WP2). Hope it does a good job..