Do I need to trash my AA batteries in Nitecore EA4

Thanks for testing it out. I am guessing some batteries might produce gas under high current and high temperature, and it will build up pressure inside EA4.

I read somewhere that NiMH batteries can emit hydrogen gas when being over-discharged.

Here is a link to a german forum (translated by google) describing that phenomenon.

[quote=Steve_the_Chief]

I read somewhere that NiMH batteries can emit hydrogen gas when being over-discharged.

Here is a link to a german forum (translated by google) describing that phenomenon.

[/quote

Alkaline does it also. Hydrogen? Dunno…but it will swell up a rubber switch cover for sure.

Today I tested EA4W with new eneloop AA batteries.(Fully charged)
I let it run for 2 hours.
Rubber switch didnt get gas while observing.
So It turned out that my old batteries emited gas(hydrogen?)
Thank you all, you guys.
I have peace in my mind.

You can lock the switch when you dont use.
Hold switch for two seconds to lock.
then it flashes once and shows voltage.
You need to hold the switch for two second again to unlock.

I had the opposite problem one day with my Zebralight H51. After flying from a high-altitude place to ~39,000 feet then to sea level, I turned the light on that night. The button stayed down when I let go, and just kept cycling through modes. To resolve this, I took the tailcap off to equalize one end and pulled the button cover sideways a bit with my fingernail in case I could break the seal. Screwed it back together again and it has worked fine ever since.

It just had low enough pressure inside that the button couldn’t come back up.

yes. led in the button shows the voltage at the moment.
if blue led blinked 3 times and 6 times, the total voltage should be 3.6v.
when you change batteries, you could see same thing.

I send you PM.

NC’s quality issues seem to be impending. Could it be that they have been pushing out too many products too fast? They seem to be keen in pushing out products before they were properly reviewed by expert users or R&D.
Just my humble opinion.

any other views? anyone can share on other user experiences?

Mine works great but i too experienced the turning on in holster so locking out seems necessary. I wish they would have used the same button as EC25 which I like better.

I wouldnt quite call it a quality issue but a longer review period might have been a good idea.

The UI they've built around this half press/full press button is good but the soft press is just far too soft.

Yes, I also have the same feeling towards EA4, but somehow I do wish they opt for the same button as EC25 for the upcoming EA8… but after saw it… I’ll pass both, unless they come out with version two, EC25’s switch & XM-L2