Do we need a Laser section?

I think that the most of ours are responsible to know how to use a laser, so, it is not the point...

With all the respect, I think not, and I'm in head xD

I'm scared of power lasers where you need glasses also to avoid reflex, I have in my mind an excited user trying to test what he can melt with his new 2 watt lase

If you order from http://www.wickedlasers.com/ they reimburse you the full amount you paid plus shipping.

People who hurt others just because they are stupid deserve no understanding. If you are careful then you don't play with lasers in public places, easy as that.

I vote I don’t care even though I love lasers. We have a gear for flashlight carriers section on this flashlight board. The real reason I voted no though is because probably at least thirty percent of the posts will be from people telling you how dangerous lasers are. If there is a laser forum though, it wouldn’t bother me because I could choose not to click on it. Just like I could choose to own a super bad for me dangerous laser.

Well is hard to understand in USA where more of the 40% of dead by a domestic fire gun are family members or friends, also if you are not an idiot that flash your laser conscienceless, you can ever forget it in a not safe place or your curious kid/friend can turn it on in the wrong side, shit happens; pass the guns.. all have and you can buy it for defend yourself and your family(or to have that feeling) but you really need a laser? If the answer is yes than probably you know what/where to buy and where to find info.

Here is budget light forum a led flashlight for ALL! xD

btw after a BIG BOLD DISCLAIMER with all the safety info, I won't bother ppl and myself arguing about that, except exceptional mental insanity cases, where I can just write "pls read it"

OMG, even lasers have disco modes!!

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html : "This is the first laser to have nine operating modes: Strobe Mode (Hi / Low), Constant Wave (Hi / Low), SOS (Hi / Low), Beacon (Hi / Low), Tactical Hibernation Mode."

I really don't want to be strobed by a laser...

Thanks for all this comments, with all respet, but I think that all this is just offtopic, I open the poll just for know if this forum need or not a laser section. That is all…

Excuse me, no all messages, I big part of them…

Well the thing is that there is already a whole forum about that and it's called LPF / laserpointerforums. Even then there would often be the new hobbyists who don't understand how dangerous it is and plays around with it (even in the house). There already have been accidents and that is one too many.

This is why guns have controls/registration/laws (however messed up some screening may seem to be)

This is also why letting of 1.3g/C class fireworks need a licence is most countries.

If you think the UV and stuff from a HID is dangerous, this is way more dangerous. It just takes a simple mistake, even in the house and even with an indirect hit ie from the side of the eyes via a reflection, to make you lose your eyesight permanently or partially. And it has happened before in LPF with the enthusiasts there where folks are more careful, have more technical knowledge, and do use protection.

Pls do not say that i am looking down on anybody, i am not.... but the issue is, if folks are already frowning on spending $100 on a flashlight just because it has just some technical flaws compared to the competition but ignore the big picture where it really matters, I don't think they'd want to spend 100 bucks on excellent approved and tested protective eyewear. And the thing is, a $40 laser easily blinds you from 50m away. A $100+ 445nm 1 watt plus has so much power and divergence that it is pretty easy to hit someone with it, the NOHD is actually way over 100 metres.

It is now like blowing the bulb of a HID or blowing a driver. There is no second chance.

Etc etc....

I can attest that it is quite fun with the couple that i own, but i'd rather not deal with discussions here because of the lack of controls and knowledge. Besides there is already an existing forum with technical responsible members who can drill home the dangers first before sharing with you the fun of it.

I'd like a laser powerful enough to light the fuse on my cannon and fireworks from a safe distance.

Isn't this place called Budget Light Forum? Isn't a Laser a Light?

yeah, that's the problem

Edit - 22:38 12/22/12

I should have read further, but I think this still has validity.

Hi Old-Lumens,
Just starting to like lasers, been doing a little research. Unless you are under some local ordinances lasers are not illegal... yet.
Of all groups out there that regulate, the FDA, yeah the Food and Drug Administration, is who has over-sight.
Lasers aren't illegal to own or build.
At this point, I don't think any legislation has been written to address laser pointers, and anything written will have to be VERY CAREFULLY written.
Every CD, DVD, X-Box, Blu-Ray, Wii, computer etc. already have lasers powerful enough to be dangerous if used incorrectly.
There is a strong effort afoot to make it difficult to obtain laser pointers in many countries, because the only time you hear of their use, some dumb-ass is pointing them at air-planes and such.
The rules to own and buy laser pointers aren't that restrictive, the biggest restriction is importing the ones that don't conform to the existing regulations.
I'd personally like to play with a laser gun sight, 30mW - 50mW would be PLENTY in green or red lasers.
Even now, it is illegal in many places to point a laser at people already.

If lasers were guns, the behavior of the foolish would have landed them in jail a long time ago.

Homebrew, with interlocks/safety functions, per regs.

Handle all laser devices as you would a firearm. There is enough stupid around, without adding to the mix.

Get protective eyewear, please.