Do you have Asperger syndrome ?

I did a Zoom meeting with my new psychiatrist today.

I may have Asperger syndrome, but because my mood is pretty stable, I don't really have to do anything to treat it.

I could do some therapy, but I probably don't need it.

She honestly didn't seem that concerned, but since I'm not that concerned about it either, it works out fine.

Asperger’s is just the current favourite ‘excuse’, just like how most of those who comment on their ‘OCD-ness’ or who claim to have dyslexia generally don’t have such things.
Asperger’s being the ‘genius’ disorder and featuring symptoms or traits common among many successful entertainers and artists just makes it even more fashionable.

The thing about self-diagnoses is that many people will indeed exhibit _traits associated with _the disorder, but that does not mean they have the actual disorder itself - A disorder is where the traits and symptoms are so severe that you cannot function as a normal human being in basic daily life, to the point where you cannot even dress yourself, cook a simple meal safely, or be trusted to cross the road on your own. Often they will not even be aware of the issues, which is why an actual diagnosis of disorder must be done by a certified professional.

Take a quick read through DSM-IV and on average you will find between four and ten mental health disorders for which you (appear to) exhibit the typical traits… yet I seriously doubt anyone is genuinely psychotic *and *bipolar with five different ASDs *and *a helping of OCD on the side.

Being aware of certain personality traits is one thing, and often a good thing as it can help you understand yourself better. That’s a big element of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy… But going round claiming to have a disorder based solely on self diagnosis, especially when you are not a trained and certified professional in the field, is rather dishonest… like entering the Paralympics with a broken finger.