Do you use your lights mostly inside or outside?

So sad for the bigger lights… :cry:

Probably indoors more so than outdoors. Only because of the low light conditions at work. As I age it’s getting harder to see the small details I need to see. Even with cheaters on, that extra bit of light helps tremendously. 14500 or smaller 18650 lights serve me well. I only usually need a few hundred lumens.

Got that copper Acebeam Pokelit with the 519A in it. Did the dedoming on it. Phenomenal difference. Been carrying that a lot lately.

I’ve yet to dedome a 519A, slice it?

Yes, usually inside or outside.

Just push it off slowly from a corner with a little stick (e.g. decapitated Q-tip). Less dangerous that way.
It’s even more easy when the LEDs are slightly warm/hot:

Dedome if you want to go all the way, or slice if you want to select a CCT: 519A, Try Slicing!

Fairly even split between the two. According to my partner I use my lights more unnecessarily inside :rofl: - usually inside for stuff like when going round the house before going to bed, some rooms that don’t have very good lighting but an SBT90.2 aimed at the ceiling solves that problem, nice colour lights for mood lighting, and just in general I often play with my lights while thinking, especially when working. Outside more practical uses overall.

I think it’s pretty evenly split for me. The lighting in my apartment is very spotty leading to more flashlight use. Heck, even my old stove has no internal light or window so I open it up and peer in with a flashlight at times.

I also take night walks with my lights on a regular basis.

I use flashlights and headlights outdoors almost all of the time.
I will use a lantern indoors the next time the power goes out.
(Ever since I acquired five lanterns for the entire family, the power hasn’t gone out.) :+1:

Thanks Valynor and quahog, appreciate the tips.

Flashlights: 90% outdoors
Headlamps: 50/50 depending on the task
Lantern: 100% indoors

Mostly outside. More likely to find darkness outside I think.

I use my EDC fairly infrequently at home indoors, for the usual stuff - finding things, dark cabinets, headlamps for reading at night without disturbing others, and for working on things that benefit from having more light on it. At certain times I use it a lot indoors while working.

I generally use the light switches in the house instead of ceiling bouncing. Wierd I know.

There’s enough ambient light where I live that I don’t need to worry much about using a flashlight on moonlight mode to go to the bathroom or something, night vision is enough. Perhaps as I age that will change.

In terms of time spent with the light on, all that indoor use is easily overtaken by a couple hour night walk. I like to do urban exploring, and frequently go on long night walks/hikes and that’s the majority of my usage.

What’s interesting to me are the times where the light really comes in handy, even if it’s only used for a short time. Finding something small that’s hard to see maybe only took a few seconds of flashlight use, but would have taken ages without it, if it’s found at all.

I don’t really use lanterns. I have a couple diffusers and lights that work well as lanterns with them, but I barely use them. Other than while camping/outdoors, typically ceiling bouncing is enough for me instead of a lantern. I don’t like how bright the diffuser is to look at.

It is true, I use my lights mostly inside or outside.

1 Thank

About equal amount of time for light use indoors and outside, at the moment. And only using them briefly for around 30 seconds or so at a time.

When outside, I always carry a light. But those are not often used.
EDIT: mostly to look for the throw-and-catch toy my dog lost in the garden.

When inside, I grab the first light I see. And I use them quite often.
It seems like the windows in my house have shrunk lately, blocking daylight from entering.

Yes, and yes. :smiley: Day and task dependent, changes by the minute. I use my lights daytime, nighttime, indoor and out, and every mix there of.

I work professionally in construction remodeling and maintenance.

My hobbies range from hiking and hunting to auto mechanics, and metal fabrication, building electronics, and 3D printing. Among 40 other things.

Anywhere and everywhere there are small(and big!) dark places that need light. Plus poor room lighting, and things that simply need light from a specific angle.

Add in being in northern Alaska, and half the year having no sunlight for more than a few hours, that there is a lot of outside use. But even when we have 24 hours of sunlight I have lots of outdoor use.

Its why I find it so hard to have one perfect light, or just one light on me. (Or maybe its just good justification lol ).

inside
because it is usually naturally darker
and i am at home at night usually

Autumn and spring - outside, winter - inside. Because generally I have to look for garden tools, shut the garden shed etc in autumn - spring, and I spend winter inside.
Summer - we have “white nights” (close enough to the arctic circle), I’ll have to check my habbits…

1 Thank

Looking at the designs of lanterns that are popular around here, I suspect very few are used for camping, despite the marketing photos.

To a great many, camping is not what it used to be.