Does anyone have the expensive Fakes (Sebenza / Strider)

Seems like everyone is entitled to on opinion. That's why I like this place....and not so many "blade bullies" as over on BF. I hope we can keep it that way.

All this “Sebenza” talk.
Do I own one…no. Would I like to…yes.
Status symbol…not one person I know could tell the difference between a sebenza and a souvenir jackknife with a Mountie on it.
I could afford a new one, but would rather get a second hand one with scratches on it so I wouldn’t turn it into a safe queen.
My question is…why is everyone slagging an innocuous blade that’s minding its own business and forcing no one to purchase it. And if it so overrated and nothing more than a status symbol, why are so many people wanting to get hold of inferior copies and knockoffs? Why not choose a good knife that suits you instead of a knife that’s just pretending. Fake Sebenza…fake Rollex…who’s fooling who? Like vegetarians that somehow need to disguise their food as meat (veggie dogs, veggie burgers etc.)
If you want a sebenza, get a sebenza. What’s the point of buying an inferior product solely because it’s good at apery.
Which movie would you rather watch, the Maltese Falcon starring Bogart, or Rich Little?

Good to see the thread still alive, but not much new info on the higher end replicas has been shared, just bickering.

I never ended up buying a Strider or Sebenza copy…I went with something else…some online store had a group buy on a Cold Steel Code 4, it ended up being 50USD shipped.

Very nice and thin knife, very light, and the lock is amazing. A bit large for the EDC tasks I do in real life but its nice to have in the collection…and its a tank.

Apparently Cold Steel may be bringing out the Code 4 with XHP steel blades next year.

I intend to get one.

I’d like Cold Steel to put a bit of jimping on the top of the blade, and as well, get a little texture on the handles. Once your grip is locked in, you’re good to go, but changing positions is like handling a bar of soap.

Still...I like the knife.

Interesting stuff being said, enough so that I have to reply.

I’ve carried a liner lock for over 15 years. Never had a failure in any situation. I’ve had frame locks for at least 10 years. Again, Zero failures. To my way of thinking, the frame lock is stronger in use as the grip of your hand actually forces the lock tighter and makes it nearly impossible for it to back out and fail. At any rate, I won’t buy a knife that isn’t a frame lock or liner lock.

Loving my brand new Spyderco Sage 2.

Hi! My first post as well. Being both a flashlight geek and a knife geek I’m enjoying what I’ve seen on this forum.

I couldn’t resist responding to this resurrected thread just because I own a small Sebenza for a reason that has kind of been overlooked.

I’m probably not alone in being someone who enjoys using nice tools. And being a somewhat older person I’ve noticed over the years that in a few areas of my life I like to splurge a bit.

To my wife a $3 flashlight is just as good as an $80 flashlight, but for me I’ll walk past two or three cheap flashlights in the house just to grab a nice one when I need one. Using a well crafted object gives me a small degree of pleasure.

It’s the same with the Sebenza. I’ve had several knives that were more expensive and a lot that were less expensive but something about the small Sebenza makes it a pleasure for me to use. Several months after buying it I sold my other more expensive knives. I tried a large Sebenza and sold it, too.

The argument that cheaper knives can do all the same things is lost on someone like me. I like to fly fish. I have a couple nice rods. I’m embarrassed to tell people how much they cost. A rod and reel costing 1/10 as much will do everything mine will do. I just won’t enjoy using them as much because they lack a bit of the handling or performance, so I saved and found some gear that I really enjoy. In doing so I tried and sold several more expensive rods—they just didn’t do it for me.

It’s not snobbery because no one I know has any idea what the knives, flashlights or fly rods are worth (I fish alone). I sure don’t tell anyone—they’ll think I’m nuts. My wife understands simply because she’s the same way about scissors, Elfa shelving, and phones. :slight_smile:

I think guys are nuts to spend what they do on golf clubs. They think I’m nuts for knives. Most people have at least one interest where they’re willing to splurge a bit. When compared to a nice car or boat, a few hundred for something you enjoy seems like a bargain.

Sorry for rambling.

I just got one of the clones and it’s so close to a real Sebenza that it should be called a forgery. Nearly all the faults that people have found in the older versions have been fixed, except for the opening of the knife. It’s stiff and gritty. This knife is virtually a forgery. It has the CR logo and made in Idaho on it. In the box it has a registration card, certificate of authenticity, plus the box is covered with stickers leading one to believe that it’s real. I’m sure I could resell this knife to someone not very savvy about knives and get full price.
I’m thinking about grinding off the CR mark. Just so I can carry it guilt free.

Engrave FAKE into the blade somewhere.

You paid for it with your own money, you are entitled to carry it guilt free. You made a choice and it sounds like you got exactly what you were looking for, did you not see photos of the knife before you bought it. Presumably the markings were shown in those photos. Carry it guilt free, you got a good knife, use it.
Just don’t try to cash in by selling it as anything other than a fake - if you do come to sell it.

I could never really bring myself to buy on of the expensive fakes either. Not sure why. I guess if I’m going to drop $60-100 on another knife, I feel I might as well just buy a name brand. You won’t get a real Sebenza for $100 but unless you think the design is so good that it’s worth buying, I see no point in buying a fake Sebenza.

I’ve owned several real ones and I just don’t think the design is anything special. If I bought one of the clones, it would be the status of owning a Sebenza. Since I’m not into the status aspect of it, I’ll look for a different design.

I’ve carried the same knife at work for 10 years. A Benchmade 921s. It was $120 back then and I thought it was pricey for a production knife but it has paid for itself in quality. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty.

At about the $100 mark you can buy a Cold Steel Code 4 or Recon 1 with XHP steel.

While I’ve no doubt that Kevin John makes very good knives, even if they have an unfortunate resemblance to famous American brands, I still think the Cold Steels are a better buy.