Does anyone know about the new ThruNite Tis?

Not the Ti2, there is a new one called Tis

It has the same XP-E but the only difference I can guess is it doesn’t say its 2 modes in the description, is it just a 1 mode Ti?

I’m not sure why they would release another XP-E version right after the XP-G2 one.

‘Tis crap if it’s anything like the 5 Ti’s that I got in a buddle deal (4 out of 5 with problems) or the dead Saber that I just got in. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. Screw me three times… no frickin’ way.

It says one-mode on their ebay page. What the…?

Looks like a downgrade with upgraded price.

Nothing new. I do not understand.
With the “Ti” , have quick access to 60 lumens.
To me, they do not know what to do.

Really? These companies need to stop producing over the hill , ancient XP-E LED’s. Why not stick with R5 , XP-G2 in these small AAA lights, they’re meant to be” floody” lights.

Good catch, I was reading XP-E in the specs. I don’t know why I overlooked the title.

OK, that makes more sense of a recent email I got from ThruNite service. They are replacing my damaged in transit TN30 and including a free Tis for the delay. I originally thought it was a typo, but two different emails said similar things.

I guess I will find out more when it gets here.

I see the eBay pages just have XP-E on the image too, not XP-E2.

When you get it let me know, I have a feeling it might be a XP-E though.

xp-e2?

i think i was dreaming..

Yeah, Thrunite confirmed - its single mode Ti.
I would rather prefer them release single mode Ti that runs on low, rather than high :D!

My Tis arrived today, along with (finally) my TN30NW.

The TIs is identical in appearance to the old model Ti. It is single mode, and appears to have a different driver or contact plate in the head.

The emitter appears to be the same as the old one, as is the reflector. I did not disassemble the light.

Strangely though, it has a smaller brighter hotspot and throws further. I compared it with two of my old Ti, which are very similar to each other on high.

I am at a loss to explain the difference. I used fresh Eneloops in all lights.

It’s nice and simple and is probably all most people need on a keyring, although I really like having several modes to choose from to suit the situation and to conserve batteries.

Thanks for the info pretzy.

I can’t think why it would be like that either unless your old one got too hot or perhaps the LED is further in to the reflector or something?..

I quite like 1 modes as well as long as they don’t heat up too much.

No worries mate.

They seem to output a similar amount of lumens in total, I will check when my new light meter arrives.

Neither of my older Ti have had much use, and never been stressed.

The emitters look to be a similar depth, just a tighter hotspot is all.

These should get quite cheap if ThruNite do them in bulk buys like they have with the older Ti buddles, since they are much cheaper at full retail.

Youre talking about emitters and reflector being the same, yet Tis throws further than Ti?
Sounds to me, that it has something to do with reflector, it might be deeper/redesigned?

You should take apart Tis and Ti and compare reflectors :D!

Perhaps its driver is much simpler than that of Ti and with that also thinner, thus making it possible to make reflector deeper.

Is the LED better centered in your Tis?

I had 1 Ti with a well centered emitter, and all 5 from the ‘bundle’ deal had off-centre ones. The well-centered emitter had a tighter hotspot. There was also significant variation in output across all of them, probably due to variations in forward voltage between LEDs meaning higher/lower current drawn with the semi-regulated boost circuit used.

Check my little review, maybe it will help you to see the differences. But on the other hand, could be just a little bit different batch.

Its quite easy to center led, simply unscrew bezel off the pill, center reflector and carefully put it back together so reflector doesnt move.